Friday, 11 July 2008

A life changing event

We are pregnant again! After the business in February, we waited a couple of cycles and then got back on the horse (so to speak :).

I said to the Geege that we had thought of all the reasons why having our three kids close together was a great idea, so we should “leave it in the lap of the gods”. My feeling was that it would never be as “bad” as it was going to be – the boys are only getting older and the gap wider.

Somehow it still surprises me how fertile was actually are! After all those years of pathetic irregular menstrual cycles all my life, I really didn’t think that I could just “get pregnant”. Even after we have had three unplanned pregnancies (trailor trash), I still had a fear that we might not be able to conceive.

I was worried that the miscarriage might have caused some problems (the list of possible risks they run through when they prep you for the D and C is very scary!).

Anyway, I need not have had any concerns because we got pregnant straight away.

We waited until 8 weeks before I went to see the doctor. That was a funny event in itself because I had to take the boys and because we had to wait for awhile, they were pretty feral when we finally got in to see the doctor. They were quite a handful!

My doctor was excited (but quietly horrified) when I told her I had done a home pregnancy test and we were pregnant again! I think she thinks I am a sucker for punishment. She arranged all the usual blood tests and ultrasound referrals.

I asked her if she thought I should have an early ultrasound because of the miscarriage, but she didn’t think it was necessary. But “what if I am having twins or something”, I asked. She said, “what will you do differently if you find out now or at 12 weeks?”. I said “it might give me more time to arrange my trip to the nuthouse!”. She laughed and said to come in to see her if I have any strange symptoms.

I didn’t need to go in to see her. I went to the ultrasound with the Geege on 9th July, 2008. I was feeling very nervous about it. The last ultrasound that I had been to was most unpleasant and I was just hoping that there was something there. Something with a heart beat and appropriate structure for a 12 week old foetus.

We walked in to the ultrasound room after a long wait (I hadn’t even been able to hold in the 2 glasses of water I had to have!). The lady introduced herself, slapped some gel on my abdomen and the ultrasound wand, and put the ultrasound to my belly. Up popped an image I will never forget.

Not one, but TWO, little foetuses were clear to see up on the screen. We are having twins! The Geege and I laughed hysterically for a bit. I cried I had laughed so much. Then a brief feeling of panic overcame me. Then fear that they would be okay (both passed the nuccal translucency test with flying colours). And now the adventure really begins… four children under four!

And then there were four takes on a whole new meaning…

1 comment:

Diminishing Lucy said...

I have never read this. I love reading about ths now. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...