Thursday, 21 January 2010

Pinkification of girls?

A friend of mine sent me a link to an article recently, called The Power of Pink.

It is about the prolific use of pink in little girl's lives - from clothes, to toys, to bedspreads, to lunchboxes, pink has become synonymous with 'girl'.

Historically, it hasn't always been this way. In fact, in early twentieth century, pink was for boys, and blue for girls.

How did we get to pretty pink princesses in such a relatively short time span?

I remember when the Minx was born, the fourth child and only girl. "Thank God you got a pink one" people would say. I was, of course, extremely happy to have had a little girl (a healthy one at that), but I didn't know how I was going to handle the pink thing. I wasn't sure about being a role model for another XX. You see, I am not exactly a "pink" kind of person. Female? Yes. Woman? Yes. Girly? Not exactly.

Raising a girl is a different kettle of fish to raising a boy. I have more experience with boys, but I certainly haven't mastered them yet. And now I have to learn to nurture a little girl too. In the day and age of pure pink. Urgh.

Lucky for me, these early years have been similar for both of the twins. There are definite gender-based differences between them, but they can still share clothes and toys, so I haven't had to do too much of the pink thing yet.

Having said that, I doubt very much that I ever will.

Firstly, the Minx looks fabulous in red, pastel blue and lime green and less fabulous in pink. I hope she realises that and wears clothes to suit her rather than ones that are "fashionable". That will be my message to her anyway.

Secondly, she comes from a family of campers and will spend much of her childhood in a tent. Pink or not, she will have to learn to enjoy the Great Outdoors and to cope with dirt under her nails. A princess she can be, but she will need to be flexible with it. Princess Dirt.

And lastly, with three big brothers there is little hope of her not learning how to "muck in" with the boys. This could be her best lesson in life. If she can learn to understand little boys and play with them, she is in for a good chance of understanding men. Let's face it, most of us women spend much of our time trying to get our heads around Menspeak. Maybe The Minx will be a natural at this.

Then she can translate for her Mum.

7 comments:

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Princess Dirt! I love it! So sums up the Minx as she is now - and as she shall be. No princess there, methinks. x

Lucy said...

Lovely.

Olivia is not a pink girl. She is a red head who "gets" that she looks fan-bloody-gorgeous in reds and pale greens.

BUT, Lexie is a pink girly girl, despite all my eforts for her not to be. And I notice Olivia gravitates toward pink stuff with Lexie.

As sisters, they will do a little pink together. Which excludes me, thank goodness....

The Rhythm Method said...

Its terrible. Its very different from when I was growing up in the 1980s. It is definitely a trend creating 'markets' out of children (pre-teen, princess) where before everyone under 14 was considered a kid.
I am glad for my 3 boys so I don't have to come to terms with the pink thing. And I bow down to the princess of dirt: her mum has her head screwed on right.

A Farmer's Wife said...

I have a huge pink fan in my Farmgirl. Obviously on a farm she is out in the dirt and dust an awful lot and we have wonderful photos of her in the paddock in fairy dresses and gumboots... She happily gets filthy. The Napisan gets a workout in our house.

I am loving the Princess Dirt concept.

Cate said...

I have three very pink princesses - and I grew up with brothers, so am *not* a pink girlie girl. But it doesn't seem to matter. Pink is in the genes, it's not environmental. They either have pink genes or not...I can't seem to unpink them no matter how hard I try :-)
xxxCate

Kymmie said...

Even though I didn't give birth to girls, I have two fabulous fairy step daughters. One is girly girl, the other, not so much. And it's been amazing to see the differences as they've grown up! Personally, if I was dressing your daughter, it would be red, black, white and all funky colours. No pretty, pretty girl here either. Love this post by the way. So gorgeous (esp the bit about man speak!) xx

Tat said...

I am not much of a pink girl myself, but for some reason my daughter's wardrobe is full of pink clothes. And I swear I didn't buy any of them. Gifts, hand-me-downs... She'd probably be able to wear a new pink outfit every day for the rest of the summer if I let her. Instead, she's wearing her brother's T-shirts more often than not.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...