Thursday, 18 March 2010

Meet my friend Flappy

I was out walking with the babies this morning when I saw this amazing woman. She was tall, lean and immaculately dressed in the latest sportswear. She was running, and I mean running not just jogging like I do, and appeared to have the most beautiful running style. Graceful, long strides with shoulders down and relaxed. For a second I wished that I were her. For a second I wished that I could run as fast as she can and that my body could take on her form. That was, until I saw it. Flappy.


I thought it was just me, but upon closer inspection, you see them all the time. Flappy is obviously not just for young players, like me, because even some of those experienced types have one. Even really good runners can have them. Flappy. You know the hand that seems to flap instead of comfortably sitting in the loose fist position?


I first encountered flappy (as I affectionately named it) when I started doing the C25k program. Even doing a 60 second interval in the first week, I noticed that I have one hand that will not be still. Robert, the guy who recorded the series of Podcasts that I listen to (www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/ ) mentioned early in the program that you need to develop a 'comfortable' running position'. So when I was checking my position, I noticed this silly hand thing that I do. I have been trying really hard not to do it but every now and then I check myself and there it is. Flappy.


The other day I noticed a bloke who was running at the park also had a version of flappy. His was the first flappy that I had noticed, other than my own. Actually if I am honest, his was in much worse condition than mine is. He gave me some comfort. And now I have been further validated by the appearance of this third flappy. The awesome lady that I spotted this morning. The awesome lady whose life I coverted for a brief second. The awesome lady who sported a flappy. Phew. It is not just me.

2 comments:

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Oh, my heaven...this could have gone in so many directions!!! I'm laughing out loud over here.

I occasionally wonder what I look like when I'm doing certain things, and running is one of them. I'll have to check myself tomorrow to make sure I'm flappy-less. And you'd better believe I'm going to be checking out my fellow joggers, too!

myshoeboxlife.com said...

Oh I love it! The Flappy! I have to admit that while normally I would never EVER look at my reflection in a shop window, I have from time to time if I've been running down a shopping street - purely to make sure my arms are in a very neutral controlled position! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...