Wednesday, 26 May 2010

A post about legs...

They are up! On their legs that is. Walking. Both The Minx and Dew Drop have discovered the joys of getting around on their pins (I use that expression although there is nothing 'pinny' about either of the babies legs). All of this activity occurred last week, Dew Drop on Monday, The Minx on Wednesday. By all accounts this pleases me, who doesn't hate the crawling stage?, but is not without its downside (I am the perpetual pessimist afterall). Their gain is my loss on some levels. For instance, I lost 2 bets.


The first was because Dew Drop made it up first. He didn't crawl until age 364 days (about 6 weeks after the Minx) so I had her pegged to walk first. Wrong. Old 'Twin 1' did what twin ones are reported to do, reach milestones first. Good one, Dew Drop. A little sidebar here. The research reports that Twin 1s usually outperforms Twin 2s. Other research also reports that girls outperform boys in most developmental milestones. As my twins are b/g twins and my boy was the first one out (by three minutes) I have been quietly wondering which of these research results would ring true. Of course, neither is! My twins have interchanged the 'leader' role (if you can use the word 'leader' for a child who takes their first steps just shy of seventeen months?). Twins are also renowned for being later bloomers than singletons. ANYWAY... back to the second bet that I lost...


The second was that they walked before they started daycare. Filling out the forms a few short weeks ago, I had to confess to their lack of ambulation. I thought that they would still be crawling for sure when they turned up. But they had their first, rather unsuccessful day at daycare this week, in preparation for my return to work in July, and they were officially 'toddlers' there. Pheww. So much more to do when you can walk around.


It is remarkable how getting up and walking ages a person. All of a sudden the twins are toddlers! They look older, wiser and definitely taller. Bye, bye babies (she says all smug but with a heart that is melting on the inside. No more babies for me. Yay! Boo :( On a practical note, I am excited that I still have a couple of size one winter pants that have their knees intact! All are discoloured from months of cleaning my floorboards (I tried tying Enjo to their knees but they were not terribly compliant with this notion. Wonder why?) but some are not holey. I am thankful for this :) Their thighs will burst the seams now before they grow out of them, so it seems only fitting that they have a few clean, 'big kid' pants. My beautiful, clever babies/toddlers :)


The other legs I need to add to this post are Doo Dah's. He has done something to his left knee and cannot walk (the irony of it!). He has been crawling around the house today and is unable to weight bare. At all. The poor darling. No obvious pain when not trying to stand, but definite pain when he does. The doctor wants me to wait and see for the next 24 hours, hypothesising that it could be a viral inflammation. So we sit and wait and hope that he springs out of bed tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...