Monday, 10 May 2010

Some days...

I got sick again on Saturday. Funnily enough I was babysitting at my sister's again (refer here for an earlier babysitting tale) and I started having pains in the tum. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I ended up in bed on Mother's Day. Not a good day in bed, rather a necessary one. The Geege had to work, so I had to manage the kids from the horizontal position.

It is hard enough wrangling four young kids at the best of times and yesterday was not one of those. I made a bee-line to my M-i-l's at about midday to get some help. The kids were great. Better than great really. They cope so well with all that gets thrown at them. The fact that as I was trying to get them all ready to get over to my in-laws place, dressing them, packing bags and port-a-cots, directing them to put their breakfast dishes in the sink and PJs in their rooms, I was mumbling all sorts of nasties under my breath (what sort of MD is this? why do I have so many children? why can't my 16 month old twins dress themselves?). They cope well with a cranky-pants Mum. I wish they didn't have to, but it is just the way it is.

Mother's Day is a good day to reflect on your experiences as a mother. I have had many wonderful times with the kids (cue trips to the park, kicking balls, giggling and wrestling in the sunshine) and some absolute shockers. The balance lies squarely in the court of the best thing I have ever done, but some days...

Some days.

Some days I dream of the things I would do if the Geege and I hadn't had kids. I imagine the career that I would have (much further along than the stalled one that I will be returning to in July). I imagine the trips that we would be having. How I miss travelling! The regular Sunday brunches. The leisurely shopping. The newspapers. Sigh. Our pre-kids world was so very nice. And this one is so bloody hard.

Some days.

I think all parents do it tough. I think some of us do it tougher. I don't know if it is the amount of kids that we have (four) or the fact that they are so close together (3 years and 8 months between the lot) or the fact that we have twins or 3 sons or lots of kids in a small house or lots of kids and a small business. Whatever it is, days like yesterday, when you are parenting from your bed, wishing like hell that all the kids would go and find another family to live with so you could just get some sleep... fortunately those days are few and far between.

Fortunately most days are punctuated with 'I love you" Mums, and cuddles, and smiles that would light up a room that are just for you. Most days you get to watch four little people grow and learn and explore all the delights this world has to offer. Most days, being a Mum is the best thing in the world. Most days.

*image from gstaticimage.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...