Tuesday, 1 June 2010

Little girl lost

I had a day to myself today. Nugget was at school, the babies and Doo Dah at daycare. Me. I was just hanging at home. Bliss? Well, sort of.

I am going back to work next month. A spot came up at daycare and the babies started there last week. They went for all of two hours and didn't cope very well. I schlepped them home for their sleep after they managed 20 minutes there. This week I was expecting the same. But it wasn't like that. They were there from 8.30 until 3.30pm. Pretty much the whole day!

You would think a person like myself would have a plan on a rare day off. The fact that I am usually wearing at least one child most of my day really warrants a self-indulgent kind of day-off don't you think? But I didn't really want to plan anything. Not yet. I will do all of that on one of my Tuesdays before July 5. Today, I just wanted to be. So, I did the usual reading at the school and arrived home to my empty nest at about 9.45am. I pottered around for a bit, got some of my chores done. Did my 15 minutes of decluttering (the plastic bag cupboard and other assorted delights!) and then I sat on the couch.


I have to say I was a little bit lost (to start with)! Don't get me wrong, there was so much to do, but I didn't really know where to start. I have gotten so used to being interrupted and using 5 minute intervals to complete things that a whole wad of time was a bit overwhelming for me! I had in the back of my mind that I may just have to pop off to the daycare to pick up the bubs, so I didn't want to get stuck into something that I'd be annoyed about not being able to finish. Inertia.

So, I sat for a bit and then I did some work for my husband's business. Uploaded product to his website to be exact. Not exactly stimulating work, but something that I usually have to do in fits and starts. It was great to be able to COMPLETE this task. To spent as much time as my concentration span could cope with, rather than relying on the attention span of a 3 year old to dictate my work schedule. Two whole brands in one sitting. Closest thing to a full day's work that I have done in a long time. It felt good, but I have some serious sleeping to do before I return to work. I don't think I can quite cut it with the Working Mums just yet.




* Photo url: http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:VvKaNnAR9KdJcM:http://open.salon.com/blog/sally_swift/2008/05/31/files/emptynest.jpg

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...