Wednesday, 30 June 2010

Transitioning from SAHM to WM

I've got all of 5 days of maternity leave left. 5 days after 19 months leave. I feel like I have to 'make the most of it' but there is just so much organising to do. This is my last maternity leave. No more kiddies for me. Back to reality.

I will only be working 2 days a week. It feels like it will take me the other 5 days a week to prepare for my couple of days at work. Another rejig. Another change in household routine. This time, it is me who is shaking things up.

My workplace offers reduced hours until my youngest kids go to school. So, for the next 3.5 years I can work part-time and then return to my full-time position. It is a pretty good deal (if I can last the distance in my current position).

To complete my transition from stay-at-home-Mum (SAHM) to working-Mum (WM), I have had to do the following:

  • Make-over - I have cut-off the Mummy pony tail and got myself a 'do'. It feels fabulous!
  • Shopping spree - I spoke of this before, but I have completed my spend and now have a new WM wardrobe. I look pretty hot, even if I do say so myself! {And the best bit is that my new knee-high boots make that fabulous clunking noise on the wooden floorboards when I walk. I feel like a school principal}
  • Arrange daycare for the kids - no mean feat
  • Organise the house - so that getting out of the house is possible
  • Rearrange the household routine
  • Wean the babies off the morning feeds
  • Practise getting out of bed earlier
  • Learn to shower at night
  • Get a train timetable
It is all a bit surreal. I am at the point where I just want it to happen so I can stop wondering how it is going to go.

Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Emma said...

Well, in exactly 4 weeks I will be right there with you. (Although probably 3 days per week).

Snaps for being so organised! I am madly trying to express milk so I can build up a store of it ready for when I go back. Ah!!

I am going to take your list and make sure I have got everything ticked off (although I don't think I could ever go without my morning shower - it is my means of re-humanification!)

life in a pink fibro said...

Luck! It'll be great. if anyone can pull it off, you can.

Maxabella said...

Luck! Luck! Luck! Luck! Note the L.

Photographer Mum said...

Waiting can be frustrating, this post reminded me of being a kid waiting for their birthday to come around - wanting to be in the moment!!

therhythmmethod said...

This is a great list for anyone going back to work.
And you make a very valid point, a lot of pre-organisation is important to make sure it all goes off without too much drama.

Tenille @ Help!Mum said...

My return to work after maternity leave came around all too quickly. It turned out to be a good thing though; I didn't start feeling like myself again until I went back to work. Something familiar in a very unfamiliar new world.

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Ah, your waiting was just so incredibly busy!

Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...