Tuesday, 27 July 2010

The Australian party etiquette guide

So yesterday we learnt about Asking Questions in Australia. Today I thought I would step you through what me, in all my 17 year old glory, describes as party etiquette. I have a very cynical view of the world (even back then) but even I can't remember where I got the ideas for this horrible party set-up!

Each party held by an Australian follows a basic set of rules:
1. If you throw a party, under no circumstances are you to introduce the guests to each other. The idea is to let people wander aimlessly, feeling left out.

2. You must never have enough food to go around.

3. If you are a guest and brought along a bottle of wine, make sure that you point out what a fine label it is but do NOT share it with anyone.

4. You must remember that men and women are two totally unique species and thus cannot intermix. Men must congregate around a keg of beer or barbeque at one side of the party and women must hover together and make salads in the kitchen.

5. Make sure you leave the party so drunk that you can't remember where you parked the car. Walk around town singing songs from beer commercials.

Does this set of rules apply to Australian parties of today (or is this just my 17 year old self having delusional thoughts again)?

Tune in tomorrow for a guide to Having a conversation with an Australian

4 comments:

Aspiring Millionaire said...

lol, that's an awesome guide!!

I do think so many people have no idea when hosting. Our biggest thing is food. I am married to a Polynesian and he stresses so bad when we entertain that there wont be enough food. We always end up with enough leftovers to feed us for a week! lol.

Maxabella said...

WTF?! What kind of parties were you attending in your adolescence? I'm ROFL here. This is gold.

life in a pink fibro said...

Your 17yp self clearly needed a curfew. Beer songs? x

life in a pink fibro said...

Hmmm. And I clearly need to work on my typing - meant 17yo...of course.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...