Monday, 19 July 2010

Blog Bookmarks - Week ending July 17

I started this blog as a record of life, my thoughts and life's little lessons. Since entering the blogosphere, I have now accumulated more words of wisdom, interesting snippets and 'must-reads' to keep track of. It is a mind-field! Blog Bookmarks is a place to highlight some of my favourite finds for the week.


I start with a fashion blog of sorts. Rather un-me to be into fashion, but you will see that this is fashion with a difference (and a green edge). Make Shift is "an art and research project that examines the relationships between 'making', 'clothing' and 'living'". The basic premise for the project is that for a period of one year Natalie Purschwitz (the researcher) will only wear things that she has made herself, including her clothes, socks, shoes, underwear, coats, jackets, hats, swimmers, and accessories. It is a fascinating site (she is one funky chick). It all wraps up on August 31st, 2010, so it is a good time to check out her site and watch her conclude her remarkable journey.


I've got a few friends who are into the Story bird thing. If you haven't yet heard of it (I can't believe anyone would be slower than me at cottoning on to things though), it is a collaborative storytelling website where you can make your own short, visual books and share them with family and friends. It is seriously cute. My friend Jaq from Jaqs Spot wrote this great read for her boys in her Taj and Toby series. It made me smile and I think you will like it too.


Life and Times of an Ordinary Girl wrote an interesting blog post for the AMB Blog Carnival on how we are being poisoned by the likes of MSG and diet coke. This kind of thing freaks me out. I can feel that DC is not doing me any good, and yet I persist. Perhaps I need to think a bit more about who is ruling this body and make some more enlightened choices about what I consume. Thanks Katiegirl for the reminder.


Choosing the sex of your baby has been hot in the media this week, thanks to the Aussie couple who went to Thailand to get themselves a little girl. I've heard of people wanting to choose the sex of their baby and changing their diet in the attempt to trick Mother Nature, but isn't gender selection going a bit far?  Being a Mum of three boys and a girl, I am lucky that I have it both ways. Would I feel different if I only had one sex of the other. Bern from So Now What? put it best when she said it is "personality" not "gender" that defines people.

Lastly, I end on a practical note. Suger Coat it put together a great tutorial on making a button for your blog. Buttons are really popular on the American Mummy Blogs and are starting to have more of a presence with Aussie Mummy Bloggers too. I'm not sure that it is "me" but I will know where to go if I want to try it.


What was your favourite post this week?


1 comment:

Maxabella said...

Make Shift is awesome! I'm surprised you had time to browse this week... I knew about Storybird and have made many cute books for the Tsunamis.

I really love your weekly wrap up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...