Friday, 9 July 2010

Eat what stands on one leg

I am gradually making my way through Food Rules by Michael Pollan. It is a great little book, packed with simple rules about what foods to eat and how to eat well.

Last week I posted about the S-Policy. My friend Roz commented on her 80/20 rule at the end of the post. I realised then that my 50/50 rule of crap/good food ratio probably does need to improve...

So, I had a pretty good go at not eating Sweets, Seconds or Snacks, except on days that begin with S this week (All of them. Sonday, Suesday, Sednesday, Sursday...) I may have to go to the bottom of the class for my effort.

This week's lesson is an old Chinese Proverb.

p.55 "Eating what stands on one leg [mushrooms and plant foods] is better than eating what stands on two legs [fowl], which is better than eating what stands on four legs [cows, pigs and other mammals]."

This is a great summary of traditional wisdom regarding the relative health-benefits of different categories of food. It does however, inexplicably omit the very healthful and entirely legless fish.

I'm already doing pretty well with this rule. I was a vegetarian for many years. Irritable Bowel Syndrome (yawn) will do that to you. I have gradually re-introduced poultry and other meats (although I still can't do beef or lamb), but I am still pretty reliant on vegetables (especially mushrooms). Most of my cook-books are vegetarian and, thankfully, all of my kids love pulses and legumes. We do meat-free at least 3 times a week in our house.

But like the Chinese proverb, I often leave fish out of my diet. I just don't think of it, and when I do, I have no idea how to cook it.

I eat fish when I dine out.

But with four little kids, dining out is a pretty rare occurence. Note to self: cook at least one meal per week with seafood.

Does tinned tuna count?

How do you stack up with this food rule?

6 comments:

Maxabella said...

Tinned tuna absolutely counts, but of course fresh is better. The kids have fish once a week of the frozen variety. Salmon is supposed to be best, but I just can't do the smell. I'm lucky because there is a really good fish shop on my walk from train to car, so I grab something fresh once a weekish. Not a huge fish fan, really.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Our girls love baked salmon and baked tilapia. I buy it frozen and always have it on hand. Hubby and I like shrimp a lot, but our pediatrician said we shouldn't feed the girls shellfish until they're two years old, so he and I don't eat shrimp very often right now.

That's a great proverb...I'm sure there's a lot of truth in it.

Amanda Rice said...

I have a great Jamie Oliver recipe for salmon with beans, peas, potatoes, herbs...it's gorgeous! And easy...will send to you if you're interested?

MultipleMum said...

That sounds fab Amanda! Please do!

Spayskdet said...

I've been trying to do fish once a week. thought we would be eating a lot more of it when we got to Fiji but I just can't stand the smell of the fish market - phewwy! I'm now buying it filleted from the butchers. I love the www.taste.com.au site for recipes. It has some super easy bbq fish options and kid friendly recipes. My Blossom has fallen in love with curried fish & potato roti parcels so that has her sorted very cheaply at FJD1 each. Unfortunately Sparkles tastes are a bit more up market. She likes hers baked in the Weber over bok choy with soy, lemon juice, brown sugar & fish sauce!

Angie said...

I am flexitarian..So I often eat what stand on one leg. Working my way to it completely...but also enjoy 2 and 4 legs aswell :)
Thanks for linking up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...