Monday, 5 July 2010

Juggling another hat

I went back to work today. It was a comparatively quiet day. No-one hanging off my legs. A trip to the toilet ON MY OWN. No screaming. No whingeing. Sigh.

Honestly, I was pretty bored. The girl who has been 'doing my job' for the past 19 months, was away sick today, so no handover for me. There is potential for my job to be both challenging and interesting. It used to be. Just not today.

I've decided I want to have Day One again when I am so snowed under with work that the thought of a leisurely day a work is a distant memory. Then, my day meandering through the company intranet site, reacquainting myself with people, policies and procedures and doing a quick update on e-learning will seem anything but boring. But when you are used to doing as many things in a day as I am, all that TIME seemed like overkill. Imagine. Time to actually think. To process. To sit and contemplate. Sigh.

Going back to work is the equivalent of adding another ball to juggle. Another hat to wear. I'm used to wearing multiple hats (they don't call me MultipleMum for nothing). Apart from being a Mum to four little kids and, now working 2 days a week, here are some of the other 'important' things I tackle on a day-to-day basis:
  • My husband's books - #1 sucker for punishment. When he started Camp Hike Climb (CHC), I put my hand up to 'help out' with the book-keeping. Something I could "do from home" when the "kids went to bed". This is quite an ordeal. LOTS of MYOB (my least favourite past-time) and even payroll. I seriously cannot believe I volunteered for this. A very bad choice.
  • Online marketing for CHC - a bit of FB (join our fan page if you haven't already) and writing a blog for the website (with a few other random tasks here and there)
  • Website data entry - I am chief product loader for the CHC website. We have 380+ products on the site and a mere 700+ to go. Groan. It is a time consuming, labourious task, but sadly, someone has to do it and when you have a start-up business, often that someone is your SAH (unpaid) wife.
  • Membership Secretary for our local Multiple Births Association - which involves keeping a database, attending monthly meetings and a few other bits and pieces. Must less work than my previous role on the Club Committee - Newsletter Editor.
  • Domestic duties (which really do take a pretty low place in the priority order for me).
The reality is though, that as I sat on the platform waiting for the train this morning at the crack of dawn (looking like no-one would suspect that I was/am a SAHM in my fabulous boots, I might add), reading Eclipse, I was already wondering what the crew at home were up to. I TRIED not to, but it is just habit.

I really am excited by this new stage of my life- tackling my career again, bringing some money into the household, being a 'person' again. My mind has the opportunity to travel far and learn new and innovative things (two whole days a week) about grown up topics, but my heart will never be very far from home. There's nothing more important to me than my family. Nothing more beautiful than when those 3 sets of blue and 1 pair of brown eyes stare up at me innocently. Nothing better than when they all raced to the door when I arrived home this evening. Honestly, what could be better?

5 comments:

life in a pink fibro said...

Go MM! Keep on juggling, baby. Keep on juggling.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

While I don't envy your incredibly long list of responsibilities, that's great that you're able to return to work a couple of days a week. I am at home full time, but I know how sweet the pitter-patter of little feet to meet you is, even returning from a trip to the grocery. :)

Colleen (Shibley Smiles) said...

I love your blog, the design and colors.

Found you on blog flow and I'm following you now.

http://shibleysmiles.blogspot.com/

Maxabella said...

What a big day!! I can't believe you're complaining about being quiet. Really! You must get over yourself instantly and soak up the peace. So happy that you're getting your groove back and, of course, the heart never wanders far from the nest.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

(I don't think I have your email address, so I hope you don't mind that I'm responding here to a comment you left on my blog about our girls' language development...)

Thanks so much for your feedback! If you hadn't ventured over to my blog, I was going to drop you an email to see if you had any counsel.

I'm going to trust my Mommy Instinct for now in thinking that the girls are doing just fine. I think it's a great idea to keep a log of new words I hear them say...heaven knows I write down everything else! :)

Thanks again, and I hope things are going well for you in starting back to work!

Best,
Mandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...