Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Love a good male voice

I love a good male voice. It doesn't matter what he is talking about or what he looks like, if he has a great voice, I'm listening.

I have been lucky enough to be exposed to two quality voices this week (and it is only Tuesday!).

The first I encountered at work. I am pleased to report that I actually attended both of my scheduled days of work this week (well done Team L). Week 2 back on the job and I was booked to do a 2 day training session about Auditing Management Processes. Needlesstosay, I wasn't overly excited about it, but being early days back at work, I wasn't able to swindle my way out of it (what excuse could I use? I was too snowed under? I don't think so).

Anyway, I arrived at the training venue and there was a middle-aged man standing at the front of the room. He was the trainer. He was non-descript. An accountant type with a stripey shirt and grey slacks. Hmph I thought. This is going to be fun. Not.

When he opened his mouth to speak, things changed for me. He had the most wonderful voice! Deep. Smooth. Easy-listening. The way the radio DJs used to be (nowadays the radio is full of people with 'constriction' and other 'contemporary voice markers' that it can be painful for a speech pathologist like myself to listen to).

I sat up to listen to this engaging voice. The middle-aged man suddenly had 'sparkly eyes' and a mischeivious grin. His personality shone through his voice and he became someone interesting to me.

He was a marvellous trainer. He littered his training with case studies and evidence of his experience in the field. He was funny and interactive and he really listened to the class, who were only too willing to contribute. He had the whole room eating out of his palm. We all agreed that he had somehow made auditing fun.

The power of the voice.

My second male voice of the week is Phil Liggett's. He is the British cycling commentator who covers the Tour de France. Let me just say that I absolutely love the Tour de France. I watch it routinely, even though it is on from 10pm-1am. I can thank the Tour de France for the dark circles under my eyes at the moment (well, it is certainly a contributing factor). I can't just watch the highlights; I'm in for the night.

Phil's commentary is a big drawcard for the Tour. His love for the sport is contagious. He uses a mix of colourful descriptions, statistics, and quotable quotes - "The little man with the big heart" - in his commentary and is genuinely a fountain of knowledge on the topic of cycling.

But it is his voice that is magical. It is deep, smooth, steady, and clear. It is a dream to listen to. His voice transcends him from his middle-aged, Englishman status. His voice keeps people like me from switching off the TV. It draws you in and makes you want to hear more. He could be talking about anything and I'd still be listening.

The power of the voice.

Do you love a good voice? Whose voice pushes your buttons?

The human voice is the organ of the soul - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

2 comments:

life in a pink fibro said...

I love a good voice. Any kind. I love Richard Fiedler's Conversations on ABC because it's all so reasonable and sensible and resonant. I have spoken of my love for Phil (though strictly in bite-sized snippets for me). We were watching TV the other night and listening to an ABC reporter to voiceover on a story. Then they cut to her, live - the voice - husky, authoritative, didn't go with the Bambi in the headlights look she had going on. I was really disappointed!

Busy Working Mama said...

My own husband has a voice that pushes my buttons. People always comment on how he should be a radio personality :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...