Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Meet a younger me!

A couple of weeks ago I did a post where I introduced you to an a computer generated older me. 20 years on I am looking pretty scary (I think you will agree). But when you think about it, back in 1990 I would have found the me of today scary.

Look honey. In 20 years you are going to have had 4 kids. This is going to take its toll on your body. You are going to look permanently pregnant, carry a few extra kilos, and your boobs will be closer to your belly button than your armpits. You will have a few greys, your skin will bare the beginnings of wrinkles and you'll still get the odd pimple too. I know, pimples and wrinkles at the same time. It doesn't seem fair, does it? Don't cry... really it will be fine.

Lucky for us, ageing is a slow process and you get become acquainted with it on a day to day basis.

I don't have a photo on hand from 20 years ago (that was the year I finished high school). That would require scanning and pdf production and things that I simply do not have time for (read have no idea how to do). Thanks to the wonders of Facebook, an old friend scanned this photo of me from 1997 (the year I met the Geege) and I am sure she won't mind me sharing it with you. I am 24 in this photo.



I have spoken before about a dear friend of mine, L, who had a penchant for fancy dress parties in the 1990s. Well, this photo is taken at one of his parties (a Bond Themed party). The frock in the photo is the one I referred to in my earlier post. Whatever the theme, that frock could be transformed to fit. I got it for about 50c from an op-shop and it was a true bargain (although made of some itchy, plastic material that was unkind to my skin and, in hindsight, WAY too short).

Honestly, I don't remember much of the specifics of the night (this is common for me in the 1990s). I remember the disco ball, the packed back yard, the 'glamorous couples', drinking champagne from a plastic cup (noice!) and being there with lots of friends. It is a happy memory.

My favourite part of the night was having an absolute blast dancing in the loungeroom of L's house. We often had a 'dag dancing' competition which gave us an excuse to produce some pretty terrible dance moves all in the name of fun. My dag dancing was pretty spectacular it has to be said.

1997 was a great year in my life. Love. Happiness. Friendship.

“Good friends are like stars.... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there” - Anon.

4 comments:

life in a pink fibro said...

Lovely story. I remember that dress and you're right - it was way too short! But who cares about that when you're 24 and Dag Dancing. x

Maxabella said...

Nothing is too short when you're 24...

Maxabella said...

My word to type to make my comment was 'crach'. So, I think nothing is too short when you're 24 unless you can see your crach.

Jess said...

Do you still have the dress or has it been sadly relegated (is that a word!) to the dress up box?! I used to daggy dance with a girlfriend of mine..it would entertain for hours!

PS - thanks for voting for me on the blog this challenge. That made my day :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...