Wednesday, 7 July 2010

Money Matters #10 - Financial New Year's Resolutions 2010

The Smart Investor magazine, July 2010 recommends the following Financial NYRs:

  1. Keep your tax documents in order this year - you know you want to, but will you? Arrange a filing system for receipts, statements and shares information. Kikki K has some great products that can help you with this.
  2. Put assets in the right name - holding investments in the lower income earner's name may help to minimise tax.
  3. Review bank accounts, credit cards and home loans - Are you paying too much? Make sure you are getting the best deal possible. Websites such as Cannex are useful for this process.
  4. Review your insurance - Are your home, contents, life, income and car protected? Adequately protected? What about health insurance? Could you be doing better? Check iSelect for private health insurance options. Would packaging all/some of your insurances give you a better deal? It is time to find out.
  5. Review your super strategy - Saving in your super fund is tax effective if you adopt the right plan, but beware of contributing more than the specified limits. Are you investing at least 12% of your super? Maybe you should be.
Sounds good to me! Do you make Financial NYRs? What else do you recommend?

5 comments:

toushka said...

this has nothing at all to do with today's blog, sorry, couldn't find an "email me" link, so anyway. Wanted to say Hi, thanks for following me and also, I noticed you aren't following frills in the hills. Here is a list blog she wrote recently that, as a mum of twins, I think you'll love.
http://www.frillsinthehills.com/2010/07/10-things-as-twin-parent-i-wish-i-had.html

enjoy
Toushka

Mama Hen said...

You have a new follower! This list is a really good one. It is important to evaluate everything and make sure things are in order! Come and visit Mama's Little Chick.

Mama Hen

Maxabella said...

Groan. I'm hopeless with money stuff. That's why I married a banker.

Asashia said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I look forward to reading more---this post has me hooked!

Asashia said...

oh and I just featured a mom-to-be to twins on my blog---maybe you could stop by for some advice for her?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...