Tuesday, 20 July 2010

A piece of magic on the mountain

I went down the Coast to visit my parents and Sister A last week. I love getting away with the kids, but it inevitably results in sleepless nights and extra levels of stress. I was pleasantly surprised this visit that things went smoothly and I came home only as exhausted as I left, not more so (a pretty high achievement when you single parent four kids for a few days).

Thursday turned out to be a day that redefined magic for me.

Some of my old school mates and I convened at a gorgeous house on a mountain that one of us is house sitting. It was the most serene place. High on a hilltop, overlooking a beautiful green valley, surrounded by tall gum trees, a rock garden and a chock pen, and at least a kilometre in all directions away from the next living being, it was quiet, tranquil and peaceful. Absolutely magical.

The energy, joy and passion of the 9 kids present was not out of place in this fantastic setting. They could run, jump, wrestle, squeal and roll down hills to their heart's content. The vastness of the open spaces captured their sounds and dulled them to a hum. They added to the ambience. To the magic of the house on the mountain.

The gaggle of four dear school friends catching up on the last 6 months of newsflashes and life's little snippets added to the general hum too. There were tales of heartbreak, turmoil, and lost souls. These were counterbalanced by dreams and plans and celebrations. For each of us who felt overwhelmed, there was another with words of wisdom and empathy to offer.

There is nothing more fulfilling than being really connected to people. There is magic in that. There is extra magic when it happens at a venue like that.

There will be more shared days in the magical house on the mountain in the future. But in the meantime, I will draw on its tranquility when I need to. Everyone needs a quiet place to remember in restless, chaotic times. I have a new one. The magical house on the mountain.


Have you found a piece of magic in an unexpected place?

4 comments:

life in a pink fibro said...

Beautiful post MM. x

Maxabella said...

Sounds perfect and you have written this so beautifully. You are lucky to have such good school chums.

I often feel this way when the weather is glorious and we're on the front verandah and the kids are working their imaginations up in the reserve. Peace and joy.

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

Oh, sounds utterly amazing - I'm so happy for you to have had such a wonderful experience x

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

That makes my heart smile just thinking about it. :)

I just reconnected with a good friend from high school on Facebook. I can't get my mind off catching up with her - and a few other close friends - in person...one day soon, I hope. I'd even be content to do it in a less serene location, even under the glare of fluorescent lighting, if we could schedule it. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...