Friday, 2 July 2010

The S-Policy

Have you heard of Michael Pollan (MP)? He is the international bestselling author of In defence of Food (BTW I couldn't have written a book by that title because it would have taken me 10 years to decide whether it was defence or defense. I am generally good with grammar but that and effect/affect often have me stumped). I digress...

Anyway, this Mr Pollan writes really simple and great books about food. Not recipes. Not straight dieting. Just good sense about what to eat and why. He is a strong advocate for eating food. Real food.

I think I have mentioned that I have been thinking a lot about the family's diet lately. We eat good meals, but I have been a little heavy handed with the refined sugar snacks lately with the kids. I want to learn to bake and commit to making more things from scratch (I draw the line at home made pasta or yoghurt though). I was at the bookshop, looking for inspiration (as you do) and I picked up MP's book, Food Rules - An eater's manual (2009) this week. It is just what I need at the moment. A small book packed full of pearls of wisdom.

I thought I would share my favourite thus far:

P131.
Treat treats as treats.
" There is nothing wrong with special occasion foods, as long as every day is not a special occasion. This is another case where the outsourcing of our food preparation to corporations has gotten us into trouble: It's made formerly expensive or time-consuming foods...easy and readily accessible. Frying chicken is so much trouble that people didnt use to make it unless they had guests...The amount of work involved kept the frequency of indulgence in check. These special occasion foods offer some of the great pleasures of life, so we shouldn't deprive ourselves of them, but the sense of occasion needs to be restored. One way is to start making these foods yourself; if you bake dessert yourself, you won't go to that much trouble everyday. Another is to limit your consumption of such foods to weekends or social occasions. Some people follow a so-called S policy: no snacks, no seconds, no sweets - except on days that begin with the letter S"

See. Simple, sensible advice.

Love it.

I had a beautician once (yes. I actually used to have time for such things) who said to me that I should be diligent with diet and exercise during the week and live freely at the weekend (a similar idea to MP's).

Have you got any such advice that you live by?


* I got the image from Michael Pollan's blog: http://michaelpollan.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/fr-3.jpg

6 comments:

life in a pink fibro said...

I have heard a lot about this guy and his books. I really must get around to reading them as he sounds like a sensible man after my own heart. I like the S rule. I could live with the S rule.

Maxabella said...

I am so going out to get that book. He sounds so sensible and I love sensible.

Gill@OurParklife said...

Haven't read that book but might try and grab hold of it - i've been thinking a lot about my eating habits lately...because although I insist on trying to keep my kids on healthy diets i am all too often grabbing a chocolate or sugary pick me up....and I mean for breakfast or dinner not just as a special treat...But I find when I am breastfeeding, all my good habits go out the window!

Rosalyn Page said...

I try to use the 80/20 rule or 60/40 on a bad day. So most of the time it's good food, but treats are still allowed, just in small doses. But as a BFing gal, I suppose I'm allowed lots of treats at the mo!

jaqs said...

Coo, you might also like thefooddoctor.co.uk (Ian Marber) or I can lend you lots of his books.. not so much for his weight loss stuff, just similar stuff on foods and which foods are good for what - it's awesome..

http://www.thefooddoctor.com/The-Food-Doctor-Healing-Foods-for-Mind-and-Body-Abooks_healingbk/

MultipleMum said...

Thanks Jaq. I will definitely check this out. So many different ways to approach the whole food thing hey? I just wish my instincts were cleverer :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...