Wednesday, 21 July 2010

The Superfluous Nipple

I came across this blog called the superfluous nipple, as you do when you are scrolling through blogger. No posts have been written since January 2009, but I got hooked because the last post was about Lily Allen's Third Nipple. It seems she had a penchant for flashing her supernumerary back in 2009. Who knew?

Firstly I have to say that the phenomenon of third nipples is rather new to me. I had no idea that one in eighteen people is swanning around with extra nipples (some as many as 8!). Usually they occur along the "milk lines" of the body, with the most popular site being the armpit.

Sometimes called The Witches' mark, Devil's Mark, or Witches' teat, back in the Middle Ages, supernumerary nipples were considered a sign of a witch.  It was a seal of the Devil, given to witches upon initiation. This mark could be a scar, a mole, a birthmark, or superfluous nipple.
 
Nowadays, people are more accepting of this simple anomaly. As well as Lily Allen, there is a long list of other celebrities who reportedly have additional nipplage according the Superfluous Nipple (most have photographic evidence but others are a little less clear):
  • Mark Wahberg (has three)
  • Tilda Swinton (has three)
  • Bill Paxton (has three)
  • Tony Parker (Basketballer. He has apparently got 6)
  • Carrie Underwood (American Idol. Had three although she has had her's removed)
  • Zac Efron (who has 2 extras below his regular two)
  • Masuimi Max ('model' has four)
  • Brian Jones (Rolling Stone apparently has one on his thigh. An unusual place but apparently not out of the question. There is a photo on the blog site of a person with a nipple on the bottom of their foot. I kid you not.)
There are numerous fictional characters with third nipples including Krusty the Clown from The Simpsons and Chandler Bing from Friends (do you remember "Nubbin"?).

There are society's dedicated to people with Third Nipples, and Facebook groups dedicated to those with superfluous nipples such as Triple Nipple and The Triple Nipple Group.

It almost makes me feel like I am missing out by only two.

Do you know anyone with a third nipple?





21 comments:

Kelly said...

I love this post! I have a third nipple; it even leaked milk when I was breastfeeding my three children.

MultipleMum said...

Pleased to meet you! Where is it, dare I ask? The blog site said that could happen! Amazing

life in a pink fibro said...

I don't think so. But maybe they're just less forthcoming about it.

Kelly said...

hehe, sure I'll tell you. It's very small and its next to my right nibble so it doesn't look to odd luckily.

Maxabella said...

Bizarrely fantastic. I love it!

Erin said...

Totally new news to me!

jennifersmart said...

I knew about Lily Allen and Marky Mark, for some reason I'm not entirely clear about! But on the sole of your foot? Imagine shoe shopping.

Kellie said...

Wow, I didn't realise this was such a popular thing. I don't know anyone. Well, they haven't admitted it to me, anyway!!!! ;)

Amanda said...

Wow! I don't know what to say. No third nipple and none in my circle of acquaintances *as far as I know* - perhaps I'd better start asking? Who knew they were so common?!

InkPaperPen said...

I wish I had seen this first time around. I must check out the Triple Nipple Facebook page - my partner is just like Zac Efron. In the nipple department, at least.

X

todd carr said...

Zac Efron has 2 sets! wow! I bet he can etch a mean piece of glass when it gets cold outside.

Miss Pink said...

I think I have a new form of conversation for parties. "Hi, whats your name? Nice to meet you. Do you have a third nipple?" lol.

A Farmer's Wife said...

Just the standard pair here I am afraid. How bizarre!

Voluptacon said...

I know someone with 2! And I also have a friend with inverted nipples. I like to make friends based soley on their weird nips. :P

Renee said...

I feel rather left out only being given the standard two - I'm off to check out this blog with photographic evidence - I just saw the foot picture - WOW! I've heard of it before but haven't seen one in person - though now I know one in 18 people have one I wonder who I can ask to show me one in person!!!

hearts_in_asia said...

Nooo, not Zac Nefron? (as my husband likes to call him!) I know a 13 year old who'd probably be horrified to know that...

Jen said...

That is just a little weired but I think the funny thing is that there would be someone who actually blogged about it, having a little giggle

georgi hampton said...

anomalies like these and others - having studied genetics i have a good knowledge of some more obscure birth defects .. but what struck me studying biology was how lucky every single one of us are to be born, no matter what health conditions we may have. to be born, no matter for how long we live, is a miracle. the best kind. x

Kim H said...

Oh that's so weird! I had no idea so many people are walking around with nipples all over the place. How do you tell the difference between a nipple and a mole? Are they the size of a regular nipple? Oh so many questions;)

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Love this! Wonder if that blog has been updated since this post...

Anonymous said...

I'm a guy and I have a perfect pair of extra nipples that are about 4inches below my normal ones. The extra ones are a light brown color and are inverted and only about as round as a sharpie marker, they even have nipple hair around them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...