Thursday, 5 August 2010

Don't eat breakfast cereal that changes the colour of the milk

Michael Pollan, author of Food Rules, and the guy I have currently 'employed' to help make shopping, cooking and eating easier for my household, has 64 rules. You don't really need to remember them all because many lead you to leave the same types of foods out of your shopping trolley, but the rephrasing is helpful. Some just stick in my head better than others.

This week I am focussing on Rule 36, which is more of a policy than a rule.

"Don't eat breakfast cereal that changes the colour of the milk"

With this simple policy, you really won't have to spend too much time in the cereal aisle reading labels (with your "great-grandma" checking your every move). This makes the decision pretty easy.

It goes without saying really, because the ones that change the colour of your milk are highly processed and full of refined carbohydrates, as well as chemical additives.

I have to say that this isn't something I struggle with for me. I am the fibre queen, so my cereal is bland and raw and (sometimes) tasteless, but it serves its purpose, and for that I am grateful and continue to indulge daily.

It is the kids.

While I can get away with museli some of the time, what they really want to eat for breakfast is the dreaded Nutrigrain. It changes the milk ever so slightly to a dull shade of brown. It is probably not the worst cereal on the market, but it is far from the best. I have been working on alternatives for years, but I keep going back to it because it causes the least amount of grief in the mornings. I must do better.

How are you going in the breakfast department?


17 comments:

mummabear1970 said...

my kids eat nutri grain every morning. i check out the labels of all the cereals to compare & also keep coming back to it. the eldest will sometimes eat weet bix. myself, i eat uncle toby's plus in the sultanas & bran variety, which they have just discontinued. the search is now on for a decent replacement cereal for me. i too, am a fibre girl!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Our girls eat a scrambled egg with cheese, plain oatmeal or plain cream of wheat, and a diced banana, sometimes with blueberries or strawberries. They don't know there's an alternative! :) Over the past month or so, I've been making French toast once a week in place of their oatmeal...I love the idea of a big family breakfast tradition on the weekends.

I grew up eating some pretty sugary cereal at times. On one hand, I want my girls to at least sample those kinds of foods - it seems kind of a shame to completely shelter them from all that sugary goodness! :) But I hope to instill a love of "real" food, which I hope they'll ultimately always come back to.

I don't know the answer, but at least I've got some time to mull it over.

Jacki said...

That is one of the most sensible, easy to remember food rules I've ever heard! And of course, it makes perfect sense. We're big Weet Bix fans in our household!

Maxabella said...

Does Weetbix change the colour of the milk? Brown sludge...? This is the staple breakfast and we have porrige on Wednesdays (home day) and Saturdays. Sundays I usually make something special or we go out for brekkie.

LJ said...

We generally eat Oats with some fruit mixed in, or eggs on toast, or muesli...sometimes fruit & yoghurt.

But on special holidays...I am guilty of buying...gulp...Cocoa Pops. And....its not for my children. Ha ha. I just love that crap!!

Gill@OurParklife said...

The kids and I have porridge and Weet bix but I have to buy Nutrigrain for my partner....he insists on it and I am currently struggling with the kids who of course want what Daddy is eating....

Busy Working Mama said...

Ick, I never liked sweet cereal. We eat Kix, Cheerio, Life (which is TOO sweet for me) and Toasted Quaker Oats. My daughter loves all of them.

Asashia said...

We eat oatmeal with raisins, grits, or cream of wheat---the theme being a hot cereal! The other kind just doesn't fill us up! When we're running low on time I'll blend up some fruit and mix it in with plain yogurt. But this is how I grew up so I'm just passing it on to Little Bit. I don't have to worry about hubby because he doesn't eat breakfast! But I should worry about that, shouldn't I?

life in a pink fibro said...

We are all about Weetbix. And I love Oat Flakes with Milo on top - does that count as changing milk colour? Hope not, cos I love it. Sometimes we go wild with Cheerios, which the boys also like to eat dry for snacks.

PartlySunny said...

I'm just going to go ahead and come clean. I let the kids get some Fruit Loops the other day. But they've forgotten all about them, so now I eat them late at night while I'm writing to you people. They're frankly not that good, but I eat them anyway.

Emma said...

We do porridge and stewed fruit... I suspect it will get harder when they aren't babies strapped into highchairs :)

Lori @ RRSAHM said...

*ahem* Fibre, fibre ;) Seriously, though, I may need to get a copy of this book, me thinks...

Lucy said...

I have a whole bloody shelf of cereal in Tupperware containers......and they are all dull - Vitabrits, All Bran, Rice Bubbles, Bran Flakes, Fibre Plus. (And occasionally Cheerios for a treat.........)

Traci said...

Sounds like a great rule. :)

Taking It One Step At A Time said...

Thank you for visiting my blog, I appreciate it :)
I very rarely eat cereal. I usually stick to an all bran bar and a yogurt. Sometimes I add a piece of fruit too.
The kids on the other hand eat Cheerios and Life Cereal most of the time. We do buy the occasional box of Froot Loops for them as a treat.
(Truth be told there is always a box hidden just for my hubby lol)

Crystal said...

I found this through the blog hop - Hello!. That seems like an easy rule to follow. I am admittedly, not there yet. My cereal changes my milk colors. But I glanced through some of your other entries and requested the Food Rules book from my library. It seems like a worthwhile read!

Lee-Ann said...

Interesting rule. I think all the cereal I ate as a child changed the colour! Now I stick to cheerio's.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...