Thursday, 9 September 2010

The banquet is in the first bite

Today I return to the wisdom of Michael Pollan.

Things are not going well for me in the weight-loss department. One might even say I am currently losing the battle of the bulge at an alarming rate. I have been keeping an eye on things (quality and quantity of food consumed), but, since I stopped breastfeeding 3 weeks ago, the kilos have been finding their way onto my body. No matter what I eat or do.

I am calling it my 'transition' period. I am transitioning away from my pregnancy and breast feeding body into my post-baby body proper. I am just getting on with my running and my watching and hoping that my body will sort itself out soon. *she says in a pleading tone*

In the meantime, I will heed the advice of Mr. Food Rules himself.

p.111: "The banquet is in the first bite"
Taking this adage to heart will help you enjoy your food and eat more slowly. No other bite will taste as good as the first, and every subsequent bite will progressively diminish in satisfaction. Economists call this the law of diminishing marginal utillity (say what?), and it argues for savouring the first bites and stopping sooner than you otherwise might. For as you go on, you'll be getting more calories, but not necessarily more pleasure.

I think this rule is awesome. How often do we find ourselves eating all the food on our plate, just because? How often do we plead with our children to 'finish their dinner'? It may not be about 'finishing' but savouring.

One of the tricks I have learned along the way has been using a smaller dinner plate. I have always had a tendency to 'clean my plate' so one of the strategies that works for me is to have a smaller plate. It also helps me to dish out more to my husband than to myself. The pesky feminist in me often gets on her high horse about a man having more just because he's a man and makes me want to provide equal portion sizes to us both. We don't need the same amount of food. I have to deal with that.

So this week I will be trying to remember to savour the first bite. Afterall, we all get one of those, no matter what our gender is.

4 comments:

life in a pink fibro said...

This is good advice. Particularly for someone who often eats lunch at her desk, consumed by other tasks. Good luck with the battle - you're doing great!

Maxabella said...

That's just the best little book, isn't it? So glad you found him. I'm also struggling a bit with getting myself into the right head space to shift some pounds. Won't give up, though. x

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I get downright aggravated at myself when I am still eating, long after I'm full. I usually do fine at home, as I give myself a small portion. My trouble is with eating out, and it's gotten considerably worse since the girls were born. Since I eat out much less often, I almost find myself binge eating when I get the chance. And then I just feel like a crazy person! :)

Melissa@Suger Coat It said...

Ooooo. Good tip. I might just have to go and track that book down.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...