Friday, 3 September 2010

Book Club shenanigans

I love reading. I wasn't a natural reader as a kid, but I found my love in my late teens and haven't looked back.

I love reading a book recommended by someone; you learn a little something about the person who made the suggestion as well as tasting a new author.

I love going to the library. Flicking through the books on the shelf, reading a page or two here and there before I settle on a title.

I find it hard to remember who wrote what (I've never been good at details) so I can barely list my favourite authors, let alone match an author to their book. I just love reading. I'm not overly thingy about it.

A couple of year's ago I suggested that my Mother's Group start a Book Club. I was really excited about it initially because I had never been in a book club before. The sheer joy of discussing characters, plots and themes! As it turned out we spent a lot more time discussing the bonkability of certain male characters and giving other's nicknames than getting into any deep literary critique.

It was fun while it lasted, but it sort of imploded because there were only a few of us that were really into reading. Everyone wanted to be 'included' but they couldn't get the books read (we weren't reading Homer's Illiad or anything) so we could never agree on a meeting date. Add to that a difference of opinion on the genre of books we should be reading (I drew the line at "Marley and Me", I mean, a dog book? Please.) and a dispute over the inclusion of a book with a character suffering PND, and the Book Club disbanded.

I think a Book Club needs more ground rules than we put in place.

Recently a 'secret breakaway' group has developed from the initial Book Club. We have enlisted other book lovers to join in what I am hoping will be an upgrade on our last effort. Chapter Two of the Book Club has got to be more settled than Chapter One, right?

Our first book was 'Where the heart is' by Billie Letts. I cheated a bit because I read it years ago. I didn't like it then, so I wasn't going to put myself through it again. I am really looking forward to our first meeting next week. We are playing it safe and using the 'suggested discussion topics' included in the back of the book. It should be a civilised evening of chatter with a bunch of bookworms. Here's hoping...

What is your experience with Book Clubs?

18 comments:

Kelly said...

I love reading too, and I fantasise about being a member of a book club :)

x0xJ said...

I don't know if you know, but there is a site called Shelfari.com go join it! I'm over there myself ( http://www.shelfari.com/yummy4mummy )
I LOVE reading. I went through a phase after having Master B where i just couldn't sit and take in a book, like i would have to read the same page a dozen times before i'd have a clue what it said, even though it was a good book. But i'm back into my book love at the moment. I have actually been sorta fiddling around and trying to compose an entry about how nice it is to be captured by a book.

life in a pink fibro said...

I hate book clubs. I've participated in person and online and it never works. In person, people want to drink wine, not discuss books. Online, nobody ever finishes the book. I'll stick to just reading I think.

Mommy Minded said...

Hey there! Thank you so much for stopping by Mommy Minded! I am following you back!

Have a GREAT Weekend!

Megan
www.mommyminded.blogspot.com

Shelley said...

I am your newest follower. I hope you can follow back at http://mylifeadventurebyme.blogspot.com/2010/09/friday-blog-hops.html. Your kiddos are adorable.
Shelley

Rachel said...

I don't do book clubs.... I love to read but Im happy to just read with me myself and I ... that way I don't have to keep up with anyone :)

Organic Girl said...

I am a new Follower:) Happy Friday Follow Organic Girl andTodays Diva

Maxabella said...

Argh, book clubs! No way!

I'm a bit like xoxJ in that I am really finding it hard to focus on a book these days. It has to be really, really good. I was never like that in the past. I used to read anything and everything.

I'm going to copy you and go over to the FFF and steal your friends now. x

Maxabella said...

Fark, scrap that... it's like a weird faith cult over there. What have you stumbled upon!?! x

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I love to read, but I've never been a part of a book club. I'm envious of one of my twin mom friends who is, though...and it sounds like such a great group of ladies. At 38, she said she's the youngest by at least 20 years. She's an English teacher (on leave for a couple of years with her kiddos), and many of the club members are retired teachers. I'd bet that's a meaty discussion group!

It's interesting what you said about book recommendations telling you a little bit about the recommender. That's so true! I was corresponding with one of my bloggy friends, and she asked if I had any book recommendations. I sent her a list of 6 or 8 books, and I didn't hear back from her for a couple of weeks. Turns out she was just really busy, but after a week or so, I started to wonder how the titles of the books - admittedly a charged assortment - may have offended her! :)

Cara said...

Thanks so much for your comment on my last post. I LOVE reading and have been toying with the idea of joining a book club for a while now. I still haven't, but now I am kinda thinking I may not enjoy it :)

Cara :)

DancingInTheRain said...

It will work this time!! My yr 12 english teacher invited us to his property for a day of literary discussions in the country sunshine after we left school. It was to be a regular event but alas it never happened again. I am determined to be in a book club that lasts longer than a handful of meetings!!

Gill@OurParklife said...

always wanted to join a book club but never got around to it...Friends in town belong to a food book club...but I'm not allowed to go because I am not enough of a foodie! ha ha...there's a rule for you...

I do love reading so perhaps one day i will stumble upon one...!

Tenille said...

I haven't been part of a book club. When I was working in Sydney, I tore through heaps of books (all that time stuck on a train), but I rarely find the time these days.

One of my 'train books' was Marley and Me, and I LOVED it. I am a dog person, but it was about so much more than that. You should read it :-)

Kel said...

New follower from Friendly Follow! I have never had good experience with book clubs. Probably because I've never joined one where anyone besides myself read the book. Not much book discussing going on. :) Just swinging by to invite you to our Spotlight Saturday Blog Hop. Link up your own blog and one you'd love to Spotlight. Have a great weekend!

Kel
www.betweenthelines-kel.com

DanniiBeauty said...

Following you now - from FYBF!
I love reading, but lately haven't found the time to. I have never belong to a book club!

Laura said...

I love to read to. You may want to check out http://booksneeze.com You get free books, as long as you agree to write a review on your blog. I have read some really great books from there.

funfunfun said...

I love reading!
Following from bloghop...would love to have you follow back!
http://funfritzfamily.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...