Thursday, 16 September 2010

How to add a weight-loss tracking Widget

I am participating in Gigi from KludgyMom's Back to School, Back to Blogging challenge.

Our first assignment was to find a little known Widget or Plug-in and write about it.

Wisegeek defines a Widget as "piece of self-enclosed code which can be embedded into a website or program to perform a specific function. Many websites take advantage of widgets to increase their functionality and customizability".

Most people have some Widgets on their blogs. To track their traffic, recommend other posts they have written, monitor comments or link to social networking sites. There are so many out there. If you are interested in finding some good ones, these posts are a good place to start:

Mashable's 25 Widgets for Blogger
Mint Blogger's 30+ Widgets and Plug-ins for Blogger

I am cheating a little, because I think many Bloggers know about tickerfactory.com's weight-loss trackers, but I thought it was a good excuse to finally install the darned thing.

If you follow any weight-loss bloggers you will probably see a ticker on their site. These little gadgets help to keep track of the person's weight loss, marrying their starting weight and their current weight. Ever wondered where they got it? Well, try here.

The TickerFactory ticker* is easy to use, even if you are a bit of a Luddite like me.

All you have to do to configure your ticker is:
1. Select your ticker ruler (from the extensive list)
2. Select your ticker slider (from the extensive list)
3. Enter a password (so that you can add data at a later date)
4. Enter your measurements and nominate which stats you want to display (in addition to weight loss in kilos/pounds, you could do measurements and/or BMI stats as well)
5. Bookmark the page so that you can go back and update it after your next weigh-in - if you forget to do this and you use the code provided on TickerFactory.com, just clicking on your ticker will lead you to its update page. From there you can edit its style and its data.

I was surprised at how easy it was actually!

I did locate other weight loss trackers, such as the gimme20.com one (which I couldn't get to work) and the Med Help one (which you needed to sign up an account to use), but I think TickerFactory's was the best I found because of is simplicity.

If you'd like to view my latest creation, scroll down to the bottom of my blog!

Are you into Widgets? What Widget would you have done your assignment on?

* TickerFactory also does trying to conceive/pregnancy, debt reduction, and countdown to an event like a birthday trackers, so if weight loss isn't your thing, you may still like to take a look at the site.

12 comments:

life in a pink fibro said...

Love your work. Next to me, you are a tech genius.

Kelly said...

Thank you for explaining it in a language I can understand :)

Gifts of Serendipity said...

Thanks for the tips, I'm off to waste some time exploring widgets...geek much!
x Felicity

Lucy said...

I like! It's a pretty one! xx

Frog, Goose and Bear said...

i particularly like that it does not mention your actual weight. this may just be the motivation needed..... thanks.

Kristy said...

I will have to check this out. Thanks!

Cara said...

Wow!!! There are tons of widgets I have never heard about - thanks for putting up the links :) I like your turkey ticker, btw.

Cara :)

Gigi said...

First off, love your header - it's really nice! Second, I love how you structured your post. You not only talked about the widget, but you explained how to utilize it. A great resource for your readers, and smart writing!

See you in Week 2!

Amanda Naomi said...

Im hoping you can help me, im feeling like all my computer knowledge has gone out the window! Ive followd the steps in creating a tracker, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to get it to show up on my blog at the bottom. I've tried adding it in the html code, but it keeps saying there is an error... help! lol.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Blessed Rain said...

First off - THANK YOU!
I had used ticker before but it didn't cross my mind to use it for diet!

Second
I had the same problem with the other app and found out that to get it to work you have to PAY.

Which of course had me looking for more alternatives and thus I found you and my way back to using Ticker.

Now a follower!

crisencio paner said...

Thanks for sharing your info! I really appreciate
your effort and I am waiting for your next post thank
you once again. Please do visit also my web page > http://allaboutweightmanagement.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...