KludgyMom's Back to School, Back to Blogging challenge.
Our first assignment was to find a little known Widget or Plug-in and write about it.
Wisegeek defines a Widget as "piece of self-enclosed code which can be embedded into a website or program to perform a specific function. Many websites take advantage of widgets to increase their functionality and customizability".
Most people have some Widgets on their blogs. To track their traffic, recommend other posts they have written, monitor comments or link to social networking sites. There are so many out there. If you are interested in finding some good ones, these posts are a good place to start:
Mashable's 25 Widgets for Blogger
Mint Blogger's 30+ Widgets and Plug-ins for Blogger
I am cheating a little, because I think many Bloggers know about tickerfactory.com's weight-loss trackers, but I thought it was a good excuse to finally install the darned thing.
If you follow any weight-loss bloggers you will probably see a ticker on their site. These little gadgets help to keep track of the person's weight loss, marrying their starting weight and their current weight. Ever wondered where they got it? Well, try here.
The TickerFactory ticker* is easy to use, even if you are a bit of a Luddite like me.
All you have to do to configure your ticker is:
1. Select your ticker ruler (from the extensive list)
2. Select your ticker slider (from the extensive list)
3. Enter a password (so that you can add data at a later date)
4. Enter your measurements and nominate which stats you want to display (in addition to weight loss in kilos/pounds, you could do measurements and/or BMI stats as well)
5. Bookmark the page so that you can go back and update it after your next weigh-in - if you forget to do this and you use the code provided on TickerFactory.com, just clicking on your ticker will lead you to its update page. From there you can edit its style and its data.
I was surprised at how easy it was actually!
I did locate other weight loss trackers, such as the gimme20.com one (which I couldn't get to work) and the Med Help one (which you needed to sign up an account to use), but I think TickerFactory's was the best I found because of is simplicity.
If you'd like to view my latest creation, scroll down to the bottom of my blog!
Are you into Widgets? What Widget would you have done your assignment on?
* TickerFactory also does trying to conceive/pregnancy, debt reduction, and countdown to an event like a birthday trackers, so if weight loss isn't your thing, you may still like to take a look at the site.