Thursday, 30 September 2010

You can't do it with exercise alone



It is no surprise that I have been trying to shed some k(e)gs. I have an easier relationship with exercise than I do with food, so when I try to lose weight I generally start by increasing my activity.

I have been putting a fair bit of time into being more active, but my weight loss has been pretty slow. It has been a bit disheartening to be honest, so I decided to do a little research into the relationship between exercise and weight loss.

Firstly, the thing I found out is that you could only expect to lose about 150g a week from exercise alone. It takes a lot of exercise to shift even a small amount of weight.

So why should we bother? Why is exercising 'the right thing to do'?

Well, physical activity does burn kilojoules (KJ) - and those extra kilojoules will help you lose weight over time.

You will also be more likely to keep weight off if you exercise. Almost all successful dieters say that part of their success comes from exercise. On average they burn an extra 10,500KJ a week being active*,

And finally, being physically active has been shown to improve your mental outlook and boost self-confidence, both of which make it easier to stick to a diet.

So my take home message this week is: Don't stop exercising because you're not losing weight. Stay active and take another look at your diet (it always comes down to what we put in our mouths doesn't it?)

So this week I will be monitoring what I drink to make sure I am not wasting all that hard work on 'empty' KJs in the form of sweetened drinks like soft drinks, sports drinks or sugary tea or coffee, and readjusting my serving sizes to make sure they aren't getting bigger again without me realising.


* Source: Change One - The Breakthrough 12-Week Eating Plan by John Hastings

14 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh how I have a love/hate relationship with exercise. :) My body craves it.. and my head needs it waaay more than my hips or thighs. Trying to squeeze it into a jam packed schedule is a tough one.

life in a pink fibro said...

I've always lost weight through extra exercise, but as I've got older (soooo much older), it just doesn't work as well any more. I'm back with the points. Haphazardly, but at least it's making me think about what goes into my mouth. Sigh.

MommyFerg02 said...

I am like you! I can excersise but I hate giving up the sweets! So therefore I don't lose weight! Hopefully I can start really cutting out the junk and start losing! Good luck!

Good Golly Miss Holly! said...

I have a feeling I am going to have to revisit this post next week when I weigh-in ... and have lost nada. I've eaten crap this week but it's nice to know that continually exercising can help get the ball roll again ...
x

Kamarine said...

The sugary things are what I battle with.
My husband wont make tea with less sugar. He's not convinced I should lose weight as he likes me as I am. Cute sentiment but pain in the ass.
Do you know how hard it's not to eat stuff when he buys it for me? And knowing he won't eat it! Geh.

Julie said...

It's so hard to find the right balance. I'm trying even after 9 months.
Good luck. I'm stopping by from Angies WMWW.
Take care and God Bless!!

Maxabella said...

I read an article not long ago that explained that it was 80% food and 20% exercise. So it's really all about the food, but for 100% success, it's gotta be about both. Personally I think exercising is such an effort that if you do it you get into the mindset that it's not worth "blowing" it with poor eating habits. You have to run for 30 mins just to burn off one Mars Bar! x

Gill@OurParklife said...

my mum has just joined the gym and she has started putting on weight since she joined! she is a naturally tiny person so she does not have a problem with weight but she joined to get healthy....I think it is frustrating her that she is going up on the scales! I keep telling her it must be muscle gain? Perhaps?

Verity said...

My husband and I just started a weekly "date night" and joined a gym. So every Tuesday we go work out and then go out to eat. Ah...you see the problem with that combination. And, of course since we are going to the gym before dinner, by the time we eat I am famished. Exercise does make me feel better about myself, it's true. I just wish that after 3 weeks of exercising 3 times per week and trying to eat less, I would have lost more than a pound. Seriously, am I unrealistic to think that I could lose 1 pound per week without major changes to my diet? Sigh.....

Lucy said...

"Change One" is such a good approach - especially if you can get to the point of juggling all the changes at once!

An what exercise does the brain is key.....

Melissa@Suger Coat It said...

Hmmm. Interesting. I have found (on previous dieting occasions) that if I only exercise the weight comes off, LATER rather than sooner. no explanation. It just did.

So yeah. I'll probably combine the two.

myshoeboxlife.com said...

Ever since I read that you have to run 4kms to burn off one cinnamon donut, I realised I had to either watch my diet, or run a marathon every day. So now I aim for both. Eating well keeps me mentally fit, exercise keeps me physically fit.

Cara said...

If only we could eat what we want and just exercise it off, huh? I have switched to drinking nothing but water or tea. I definitely had a problem with the sugary drinks. I don't want to waste the cal. anymore either :)

Busy Working Mama said...

I agree on the diet and exercise. It takes two. I've counted calories and exercised my entire adult life and it's kept me balanced. I also track food/exercise/calories in a free calorie counter tool. I used fitday.com for a while then switched to calroiecount on about.com's site.

Happy weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...