Friday, 22 October 2010

Doing it for yourself

I watched the first episode of Grand Designs Australia last night.

This builder-type built himself an amazing home in the shell of a his bushfire effected home (from the Black Saturday fires of 2009).

Image Credit
The house was completely in tune with the surrounding nature and made beautiful use of light, texture and natural materials. Click the link for a sneak peek.

I could happily move in there.

But as I watched this masterpiece take shape and oohed and aahed about the synergy between the inside and outside, I was a little sad for this talented builder-type.

He didn't appear to have anyone to share this fabulous home with.

All the money in the world but all alone.

It makes me wonder what motivates people?

What would drive the builder-type with his holistic approach to health and architecture to create such an inspiring space, when he had no-one to share it with?

I don't think I could (for reasons other than my distinct lack of carpentry skills).

I don't think I could be bothered maximising the view in my open shower if it were just for me.

I probably shouldn't admit it, but I think I was thinking that he is selfish to be so kind to himself. To be so self-indulgent.

But then, doesn't everybody deserve to create their perfect space?

Shouldn't we all make the most of our life in whatever way turns us on, irrespective of what judgemental blogger's other's think?

Maybe I am the sad one?

Maybe I am just jealous because I honestly wouldn't know where to start to create the perfect space for me.

I am torn.

What do you think?

15 comments:

alliecat said...

Maybe he was building it in mind with a future person with whom to share it..... Afterall it's his trade and his passion, so maybe the creative process was about his drive for perfection in his work rather than the perfect home for himself. Having said that, I see nothing wrong with aspiring to achieve that either, good luck to him! Know any single gals??

Maxabella said...

Maybe he thinks "someday my perfect wife / husband and five kids and the dog, cat anf fish and Alzheimer's inflicted Nan will all love the view from the shower" or maybe he thinks "solitude and the perfect place to rest"... Everyone deserves their perfect place to call home, regardless of their preferences. I can't wait to start watching the show next week!! x

Tenille said...

I don't know how people are brave enough to rebuild on the same site where they experienced such devastation. He seems determine to rebuild to prove that he can do it, and in a sense, 'win'.

I didn't see the show (just watched the video diary tho), but maybe he does have a 'someone' that just didn't want to be on camera? If not, I hope he finds one to share that beautiful space with.

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

That episode was amazing - but I too was a little sad when it was him and the puppy on the couch at the end. I loved him though and his determination. I think it's a good lesson in why we should think that WE are good enough to deserve something fabulous. Prioritising and treating ourselves really should be a good thing.

Great thought-provoking post.

Oh, and your post on dealing with that woman on the phone the other day really helped me yesterday. I had one of 'those' phone conversations and a combination of calm and silence helped quell the craziness - thank you!

life in a pink fibro said...

If you don't do it for yourself, noone will do it for you. I say good on him. Somebody's going to love being in that space with him one day. No point shutting out the view in the shower just because he's in there on his own.

Gill@OurParklife said...

I also wonder if he was building with the intention of finding someone to share his home with? I did not catch the show.....But then I think I agree with pink fibro, no point in shutting out the view because you are the only one looking at it!

Gill xo

x0xJ said...

I simply don't know how he does it at all.
I am amazed at the strength and courage some people show without batting an eye.

Posie Patchwork said...

I often wonder why do our neighbours built a 5 bedroom home yet no children (in their late 30s) where we stuff 6 people into 4 bedrooms. Then you see this kind of massive home, maybe they have lots of friends who visit, family who visit, just love space to showcase their own personalities OR he'll meet someone amazing later. Takes all types, that's for sure!! We are going to build but yikes, have to plan that our children might start leaving home in 6 years!! Crazy!! If i lived alone, i'm not sure, maybe beautiful bush property, maybe apartment, just can't relate. Love Posie

DancingInTheRain said...

Maybe it is part of his grieving process. He has used his hands and made something, he is back in control and gets joy from seeing his achievement. That is probably based more on my own experience ( not that I have attempted to build a house!).

actinglikeamama said...

I thought it was such an inspiring and stunning home - i would move in tomorrow if I could - except I hated that it was only 1 bedroom. Even with the loft, I thought it would be really inconvenient for guests with such minimal privacy. It seemed to me it was a home built to be shared and loved and admired, yet it didn't really cater to guests??

Kristy said...

You do whatever makes your heart happy! Life is too short to limit yourself!

Ca88andra said...

Actually I think its great that he can build something special just for himself! Even if you're on your own it would be nice to have a home you enjoy. Although I don't know why he would rebuild in a fire prone area, I know I could never live there.

Lucy said...

We haven't seen it yet. Cannot wait. LOVE the UL version and love Kevin McLeod.

Pop Feng Shui suggests you need to create a space by which to welcome someone into your life. I hope it works for him....

Tracy said...

Thank you so much for stopping by our blog and the sweet comment!!! Your children are lovely and I look forward to getting to know you better. Many blessings, Tracy

Kelly said...

I watched this episode too. What an amazing house! Not big enough to fit my family in though. It did seem a bit sad to have this lovely house without a family to share it with.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...