Tuesday, 30 November 2010

Living a contented life

Image credit
It is so easy at this time of year to do too much. There are so many tasks to complete and people to see and functions to attend. The need to squeeze the life out of the last few weeks of 2010 is a compulsion.

What better time then to re-assess our priorities?

To look at what we are doing and why we are doing it?

"Whatever the tasks, do them slowly with ease,
in mindfulness,
do not do any tasks with the goal of getting them over with.
Resolve to each job in a relaxed way,
with all your attention.”
- Thich Nhat Hanh, Zen Master

We often complete things so that we can tackle the next thing on our list of things-to-do. We rush from one destination to the next, only to hurry along to the next. We are often so tired from the grind, that we don't have the energy to do the things we love. Things we are passionate about.

So when you find yourself wrapped up in the busy-ness this season, try to spare a moment to hold onto the things that help us lead a contented life. To dance in the rain.

Keep things simple.

Look after your relationships.

Find the funny side.

Find joy in the mundane, the routine.

Never stop learning.

11 comments:

Lizeylou said...

You are so right - I am always hurrying the kids up "quick we need to finish this so we can get to ....." Thanks for the reminder to slow down!!

Maxabella said...

A lovely, timely post. Especially this year when we need to break out those dancing shoes with frustrating regularity! x

DancingInTheRain said...

I am all for dancing in the rain!!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Amen! I was so pleasantly surprised to find myself feeling the holiday spirit today. I think it's the realization that we're staying home for Christmas for the first time in 10 years...and that there are some things my girlies are going to enjoy this season.

We were out for a late-afternoon walk, and they were having so much fun looking at the Christmas lights on some of the houses. I can hardly wait to put up our tree (for the first time in said 10 years) and see their little eyes delight.

I can't say I won't get caught up in laundry and dishes...I do just about every day...but I'm going to try to step back and soak in some happiness in the middle of it all. :) Beautiful post!

life in a pink fibro said...

Yes. I'll try to think about all this. Just as soon as I find the time... Oh wait...

Cate said...

Yes I would just love to slow down a bit, but unfortunately (as they say in the classics) xmas is coming...and it's coming FAST!! Promise to slow down as soon as it's over :-) xxxCate

Christie said...

Yes! I needed this one today, thank you xx

Emily said...

Ooh, nice. I even started to read the post slower! Stop rushing, Emily! Thanks for hosting the Rewind again. And thanks for giving us all a week off last week! xo

Jen R said...

So so so true xx

Charis said...

Joy in the mundane... I like it.

supermac said...

Aye to all. Thanks for this wonderful post <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...