Monday, 6 December 2010

The bombsite

This is not my place!
I am not much of a housewife. I confess that I am rather appalling. When I mentioned the word 'clean' yesterday, my daughter piped up "K" (the name of our over-worked fortnightly, life-saving cleaner). Like she's never seen me do it or something. It was a sobering moment in parenting.

I claim that it is the repetitiveness of it that kills me. I claim that it is the relentlessness that puts me off. I claim that it is the thanklessness of it that prevents me from learning to love it.

I do the bare essentials; as infrequently as possible.

When I am out of the house for the day and get home and there are literally toys strewn everywhere, dishes piled up, washing folded the night before still in neat little piles waiting to be put away, children's pyjamas still sitting in the pile they were discarded in when they got dressed in the morning, it makes me realise that I do actually have an impact on the daily life around here.

I am bad at it, but I still make a difference.

That is reassuring in its own way.

What are you like as a housewife? Any kindred spirits out there?

10 comments:

@jencull (jen) said...

Oooh, I am so bad. I push all the toys over into one corner so that nobody will get injured and tell myself that they will only be taken out again later anyway! *Dust is a protective layer on my furniture* is my new mantra :D Jen

Tat said...

I am pretty bad, too. But recently I've realised that I could listen e-books while doing chores and it makes sooo much difference when you are entertained.

DancingInTheRain said...

I am bad but want to be better and I would like learn not to see it as such a weight on my shoulders. I am about to have a crawler and the dread of having to keep the floors safe for little hands is upon me!

Maxabella said...

I'm half and half. Super clean but a bit messy around the edges. That pretty much sums me up actually! x

Jess said...

I am all show...things look great on the surface but scratch a little (open a drawer or look under my bed..) and its generally NASTY! Except now - everything is ridiculously clean now. Every nook and cranny.... but not for long!

life in a pink fibro said...

I consider myself 'relaxed' in this area. Bomb site unless people are coming to visit. Thank god the 'pop in' visit is not fashionable anymore.

Gill@OurParklife said...

i am up and down....i have days when everything is nice and ordered and days when the house looks like a small tornado has passed through...Like Pink Fibro says above, thanks god the pop in visit is not such a big thing anymore, kind of my worst nightmare - people might catch me in my naturally messy surroundings!

Gill xo

Gill@OurParklife said...

i am up and down....i have days when everything is nice and ordered and days when the house looks like a small tornado has passed through...Like Pink Fibro says above, thanks god the pop in visit is not such a big thing anymore, kind of my worst nightmare - people might catch me in my naturally messy surroundings!

Gill xo

Quadmama said...

I've always said I'm a wife and a mom, not a housewife. I expect some help from my husband and my kids. It doesn't always happen, so I'm usually pulling my hair out as I pick up toys, but they all know that when I ask (tell) them to clean up, that I mean business.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Even though we're on one income now, I still manage to find the change to have our cleaning lady in once a month for the heavy-duty work. I am sure I could find time to scrub toilets if I really had to, but that might just put me over the edge some days!

Right now (as of this week), I'm really trying to focus on getting some things in order downstairs. I literally spend 95% of my waking hours in the kitchen and den, and I am SO TIRED of having clutter here!!! I've been on a real tear today...I have filed and shredded a ton of paper, AND cleaned out / organized my pantry. Now if I can just keep this up for another few days until I get things back under control (whatever that is...HA!).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...