Thursday, 9 December 2010

Oprah does The Sound of Music

This is a picture of the glorious Mondsee
Did you catch Oprah's interview with The Sound of Music cast?

God I love that movie. So many great songs, the voice of Julie Andrews and the countryside... sensational. 45 years on, I think it would still make a lot of people's favourite movie lists.

It was cute to hear a few of the stories from behind the scenes.

I always doubted that Leisel was "16 going on 17" (she said she was 21 at the time of filming) but I think that was probably my favourite song from the movie.

Christopher Plummer was so busily drinking in Austria that he had to have his costumes taken out! And one of the boys grew 6 inches during the 6 months of filming so they had to put Liesel on a box in lots of the scenes so that she remained taller than him. And two of the girls lost their front teeth. And Gretel couldn't swim so was scared senseless during the falling out of the boat scene.

Apparently "Favourite things" was the first scene that they shot.
Apparently the seven von Trapp kids are putting out a book next year.

I spent a couple of weeks in The Sound of Music territory whilst an Exchange Student in Germany. One of my host families took me on holidays to Mondsee (where the church Maria and The Captain married is) and when I wasn't busily lazing around the gorgeous lake, going to the Salzbuger Festspiele (where I had the pleasure of seeing The Magic Flute opera) I was exploring the countryside looking for Eidelweiss (not realising that it is a protected plant).

And yes, I did my own version of "The Hills are Alive". It is an incredibly beautiful part of the world. Breathtaking. Lush.

Oprah is a pretty cool chick (welcome to Australia!) and I loved the skip down memory lane I had on Tuesday night whilst watching her show.

Are you into The Sound of Music? What is your favourite scene?

11 comments:

life in a pink fibro said...

Ah, you know that I love it. I spent some time in Salzburg with friends and we re-enacted several scenes from the movie, amidst much hilarity. And that 'high on a hill stood a lonely goatherd' song has been a running joke between us for nearly 20 years now. Memories!

Maxabella said...

Sssshhhhh... I'm really over Oprah. I think she's walking through it these days. And what's worng with sapphic luv?

I love TSOM. x

MultipleMum said...

@Maxabella - Does she have an issue with Sapphic love? or are you suggesting...? I am not a regular of her show (not really my scene) but I think she does some great things!

@LIAPF - tee hee. The goatherd!

Megan Blandford said...

So annoyed I missed this - will have to watch it online soon I think!

Gill@OurParklife said...

I heard about this through my SIL.....She and MM and their two brothers grew up on The Sound Of Music and although I had obviously seen it, they really made me addicted to it...

Gill xo

Rachel said...

Do I love the sound of music or do I love it?...I love it.... I love everything about it ...and my favorite song is Do A Dee ..... I taught Bop that song sometime ago so she could sing it with me and my mom in the summer cause in true family traditions my mom loves it to...

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

I missed this too! Hubby would DIE if I wanted to turn it over to that whilst he was in the middle of a documentary! ;) Will watch online like Megsy.

I like the film too. Is it my fave? No. It's so long! But it's a classic. I love the scene when the kids perform in front of their father's party and he's so proud.

An old friend of mine used to watch it *every year* it was on. He wouldn't miss it. I remember one year watching it with him and we were "sssssh"'d all the way thru!

Lucy said...

I am not an Oprah fan, but I LOVE the Sound of Music. I first saw it at the drive in with my grandparents, and every Christmas ever since!

I bought a copy of the movie for the chidlren last year and they ADORE it.

DancingInTheRain said...

I watched that one too - twas great! Looking forward to some do re meing with my girls in the years to come!
Very sad that Julie Andrews voice now sounds like nails on a chalk board!

katepickle said...

Oh I adore the Sound of Music (currently indoctrinating my children as well). I don't watch Oprah but wish I'd seen this!

Chantilly Bowtique said...

I love the Sound of Music! So much so that I was actually in a local musical production of it! My little sis played Gretel and I played Marta. I have very fond memories of singing all of those songs and my sister and I still do the routines...after a couple of drinkies of course! ;o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...