Saturday, 8 January 2011

52in52: Family charter


I am taking a leaf out of Kelly's book and setting myself something new to do each week in 2011. I am going to post about it each week on Saturday. I won't be doing this in any particular order, and will add the link to the post when it is complete. If I don't manage to acheive everything on the list, (highly likely) I will donate $5 for everything I missed to Oxfam for all the amazing work they do. For a look at the full list, click on the 52 in 52 page on the left hand sidebar.

The kids and I had lots of fun making our family charter which we called 2011 Family Goals chart. I really wanted to keep things positive (not a list of 'no's and 'don't's in line with my commitment to mindful parenting) and it was pretty hard helping the children get the hang of that.

In the end we created these five goals:

1. We keep our hands and feet to ourselves
2. We sit at the table when we eat
3. We speak kindly to each other
4. We look after our toys and each other
5. We have 'inside' toys, games and voices and outside ones

Not a no in sight.

They cover most of our needs at the moment (although I am thinking of adding and un-democratic 'We help Mum whenever we can').

Have you had any joy with your own 52in52 challenge that you want to share?

* If our home-made version doesn't suffice, I reckon I might get me one of these pretties from Harper Grace because it is simply awesomeness.

15 comments:

Gifts of Serendipity said...

The 52-in-52 is a brilliant concept [definitely a 'Why didn't I think of that?' idea] which I'll be taking up although I'm going to have to backtrack on one.

Thanks for sharing & have a terrific weekend,

Felicity x

Cottongirl7 said...

This is a great idea. Not I'm quite ready to take on this big of a list yet though. I did just commit to making 5 handmade items this year and sending them off to 5 friends on facebook that were the first to comment. It seems like a fun idea. Maybe once the girls are 2.5 years I'll feel like I can accomplish a little more. Who knows. Or maybe I could do a half marathon list like 26 things in a year. That sounds like a good way to ease into it. I'll have to give some good thought into a list. Thanks for the inspiration!

x0xJ said...

I love these goals, especially that you haven't used negative wording!
Although i am imagining 'headbutting' will be the new thing in your house? Lol.

Lucy said...

Gorgeous idea, and I love your 5 goals. They are similar to my screechngs....

Maxabella said...

They're great. We have similar goals at our place. We are due to review them the week before school goes back. x

reanbean said...

This sounds like the beginning of the year work I would always do with my students when I was teaching elementary school. We didn't allow any No's or Don'ts in our classroom covenant, and some years it was a challenge to get the kids to think in positive terms. I think your family goals look great, and hopefully your kids will learn to internalize them and be mindful of them. Just having them listed is a great first start. I wonder if my guys are too young for something like this...

the rhythm method said...

I like your goals. We struggle with no.1 the most. Why do my boys always end up in some kind of grip when they come near each other? We really must work on this.

Ivana said...

What a wonderful inspiring idea! Thanks for sharing it. I have to think and create my list asap!

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Looking forward to following your 52 in 52 progress!

Kelly said...

Fantastic idea, I like your list. I have the above picture as a poster in a frame hanging on a wall at home.

Frog, Goose and Bear said...

Great positive list! I love the 52 in 52 concept. I just went and had a look at the list. Love the concept and look forward to seeing what u get up to. I think all I can commit to this year is trying to stay sane...

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

WOW! I'm impressed with you sitting down to outline 52 things...that would be quite a commitment for me! HA! Was it hard? Or once you started, did it just roll off?

Your list sounds like a good balance of things you can readily check off (take kids to the dentist) and larger, longer-term goals (get Doo Dah ready for school).

And I love the donation for what you don't check off...great idea.

I look forward to your weekly updates and some inspiration as you tick through your list!

Kymmie said...

I think we're all thinking exactly the same thing! I had a small epiphany two days before Christmas to do a linky (and just posted about it today). So, do you want to add your new weekly thing to my regular linky??? That would be awesome! And now I'm off to see what your 52 in 52 list is... you're right: your family chart it is a most excellent, FANTASTIC idea.

Busy Working Mama said...

Yes yes yes add the helping the mom one!!

Kymmie said...

Wooohoo, both you and I are suckers for punishment. I'm now doing the Pay It Forward thing too. Yikes! And thanks so much for linking up today and trying some thing(s) new this week. Now, what to make...??? xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...