Wednesday, 5 January 2011

The good, the WTF and the ugly - our Fiji experience...

The Good:

It really is hard to have a bad time in Fiji.

It was a water-lovers paradise (and most appreciated given the 30+ degree heat we experienced each day). Each day we enjoyed swimming at the beautiful beach AND the swimming pool (one with a mini water slide). Our first bure was literally positioned on the sand of the beach and we could watch the children swim in the shallow low tide from the comfort of our verandah.

There was snorkeling to be done (not by me because I forgot to bring my contact lenses and can see NOTHING without my glasses) and the Geege managed a short session.

There was lots of jumping off the pontoon- the quickest way to make you feel like a kid again I discovered.

We ate two catered meals every day, breakfast and dinner, and a lazy lunch in between.

We relaxed and/or read in a hammock under the shade of a coconut tree in the heat of the day, enjoying a daily siesta along side the toddlers.

We spent quality time with the family (and whooped some Newton butt in a game of New Zealand Trivial Pursuit).

We walked along the water's edge or sat in the outdoor restaurants watching the sun go down each night, enjoying the colours and the tranquility and waving bye to another glorious day.

We drank cocktails - too many really - and found that parenting 'under the influence' is quite fun when you don't have to cook or clean (Note to self: Mai Thai is not your friend).

We celebrated the end of one year and the beginning of the next with the bang of fireworks (just like home!).

The WTF:
Fijian's love music. They play it constantly and it is really uplifting with a real 'holiday feel'. Mostly I totally dug their vibe, but not so much on Christmas morning. At exactly 4am on 25.12.10 we were woken by the sound of a knock at the door. Now remember that we had the looooongest day in the world on 24.12.10 so we were perhaps a little less friendly interested than we might have been. The early morning visitor turned out to be 'Fijian Santa' who popped by to give us a Christmas cake and sing us a little tune with his mates playing guitars. It was joyous and cute but it was 4am and I was in my nighty and Dew Drop was woken by the racket and wanted to start the day...

Later that day, the resort forgot the twin's birthday cake that we thought we had arranged before we arrived. We did some celebrating of their 2nd birthday during the day, but had planned to have cake at dinner. We stretched them and stretched them on Christmas night (hoping for a miracle?), trying to get them through the 100 course Christmas meal so we could get all birthday happy, but in the end, their tired little eyes could cope no more and the Geege and I took everybody home to bed. We sang them a little rendition of Happy Birthday while they were falling asleep. Another dud birthday (we are not good at the Christmas birthday clash).

The next night (after 9pm) we got a call from the reception to say that Sue (our waitress) was bringing down the cake. Um. Thanks. Along the beach walked a procession of at least 10 Fijian's in matching Hawaiian shirts, strumming guitars and singing Happy Birthday. The Minx woke for the occasion, but Dew Drop slept through his serenade. Another very cute but WTF music moment!

The Ugly:
I am not going to dwell on this for long but 'Bula-belly' was not a fun aspect of the trip. Changing 6 pooey nappies a day is not a highlight for me.

And while we are at it, poor old Uncle Noods really could have left that Crown of Thorns he stepped on in the water. That was an experience I think he will never forget and one that we all wish had not been part of our holiday! We joked about him having to 'declare' his foot going through customs on the way home. A sneaky way to bring in a bit of the sea-life of Fiji.

A lovely trip was had by all. I would totally do it again, but probably not for another 2 years. Two four year olds would be a hell of a lot easier to wrangle than two year olds.

What did you do over Christmas and New Years? Ever had a WTF moment in Fiji?

* I wanted to post some other photos but Blogger isn't letting me!

23 comments:

Lucy said...

We have pinpointed Fiji as a holiday for next year....I may need to email you for recommendations!

So glad you had a good time.

Maxabella said...

I hope you get to post more photos. It really is paradise there. I don't know if I could have done it with 4 under 6 though... sigh.

Fiji seems to be your tropical destiny, Coo!! x

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh yes, simple resort holidays with 4 really young children, we do & go with flow that 'cultural differences' of time, place & punctuality are out the window. We talked up swimming at the hotel pool in Singapore one year with 4 under 6 only to find we were in a hotel under renovation, no pool access & a suitcase filled with bikinis!! Plenty of distractions though. My 4 have cast iron bellies, they can eat anything, road side food in China, not a problem!! Have fun planning the next holiday adventure, love Posie

Cate said...

I was just thinking how mych easier it looked with 2 y.olds. I made the dubious decision to go back for a third just after I finally got a little bit of life back (silly billy!). So I'm back to chasing an over-confident tiny toddler up and down the beach. But then, I only have them one at a time, so I'm *not* complaining :-)

Would love to see more photos...it looks divine!!
xxxCate

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

4am? What's up with that?

I remember when the 6yr old had a gastro when he was about 2 - and changing all those nappies. *shudder*

But, apart from all that - sounds like a fab holiday! Have never been. We took the kids to Vanuatu a couple of years ago and that was HEAVEN! We want to go back. Easy getting there too. Jump on a plane, short bus trip to resort and VOILA!

xxx

Busy Working Mama said...

LOL Fiji is on my list of places to visit one day. The farthest my husband and I have made it is Samoa - which we LOVED, but it was 4 hours to fly to LA, then 10 hours to Samoa. Yikes.

Anyway, saw you asking about hominy. I googled it: Hominy refers to corn without the germ. It is served both whole or ground. Hominy is boiled until cooked and served as either a cereal or as a vegetable. Hominy may also be pressed into patties and fried. This dish is especially popular in the southern United States. Samp is another name for coarse hominy. Hominy ground into small grains is sometimes called "hominy grits."

It tastes king of like a bean, but it's a corn. I didn't discover it until about 9 years ago when I moved from Chicago to Atlanta...it is now a staple in our pantry.

Busy Working Mama said...

And mama, I give you credit for wrangling two 2 year olds. I shudder at the thought!! Happy New Year :)

Andrea said...

Sounds like you all had a marvelous time! I am so jealous! I agree you could have done without the 4 o'clock wake up call! That was just CRAZY! You were on vacation for crying out loud! I guess they figured Fiji Santa would be worth it...not! Glad you got to relax over the holidays. can't wait to see pictures!

Rachel said...

I would have loved to do what you did at Christmas minus the belly bit... and I'm sure my mom would totally sympathies with the Christmas baby syndrome..she had to 11 yrs apart both born just before and the day after Christmas... it sucks but as they get older it will get easier .. I promise I was one of her Christmas babies ...
I am also very jealous.. its freezing here with to much snow for this English girl to cope with

CSaM said...

Christmas cake would have been nice.... just not at 4am!!

And 6 pooey nappies a day.. YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!

The Clip Cafe said...

Oh my goodness 4am?? Great post and making me want to go there it looks lovely.

Kelly said...

What awesome holiday, hope "The Good" outweighed the "WTF" and "The Ugly" ♥

Kim said...

I'm with Maxabella, I have mad respect for you taking four young ones on vacation!! The fact that you had a great time just makes you more awesome!

Photographer Mum said...

Gotta LOVE not having to cook and clean every night! Makes life so much better.

Hear Mum Roar said...

I had so much fun when I went to Fiji, when I was 21. This brought back great memories

jazzygal said...

Haven't had a WTF moment in Fiji...haven't had ANY moment in Fiji! After reading this I so want one though!! Coconut trees, sunsets, cocktails..even Mai tai! Heaven.

I have been to Bali though, on way home from a 3 week whirlwind tour of Australia years ago ;-)

Actually, if you get a chance you should read the post I did ages ago :"My Uluru Experience..."
You might get a laugh out of it!

Pity about the twins' birthday cake but it sounds like you made the most of it.
xx Jazzy

Katie said...

I am going to read and re-read your post all day because it will make me feel like I too, am in Fiji.
What a gorgeous picture. Sounds like a great trip. Poopie diapers and all.
xx

Rebecca said...

Love this: parenting 'under the influence'

My WTF moment in Fiji (if I ever get there) would be WTF am I doing in Fiji!?! I"m so lucky!!!!

Christie said...

It looks and sounds heavenly! I've never thought of Fiji as a destination with our four, might have to do some research/dreaming. We ate a lot of junk over Christmas and my 17 month old's nappy felt the effects, so I'm hearing ya on that one!

Marianne said...

Bliss! Love tropical holidays!!
xox

cityhippyfarmgirl said...

Glad the good bits were great. The bad bits always fade in memory. A couple more years and you'll barely remember those nightly 6 stinky nappies!

MultipleMum said...

@cityhippyfarmgirl: Here's hoping!

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

the Santa thing cracked me up - until I thought about how I'd have felt in my nightie in your place...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...