Monday, 31 January 2011

Onions: Friend or foe?

Image credit
I have a love/hate relationship with onions.

I love the flavour but can't stand 'onion breath'.

I love the taste but can't manage to peel them without crying my eyes out.

I love their health benefits but find they bloat my tummy when I eat them.

I love the texture (especially when fried until 'soft' in a bit of butter) but find them irritating to cut up finely.

Love them.

Hate them.

After eliminating onion from my diet for years while breast feeding children who couldn't tolerate them (in any form), I recently reintroduced them into my diet (the kids still won't eat them) and fell in love again.

But then, after a particularly 'oniony' but scrumptious dish, the same old issues reared their head. And the dislike began again. So I have decided that I need someone to 'breed' an onion that eliminates all the bad stuff so I am left with only the good.

Then I could partake with no regrets.

How do you find the onion? Any good recipes to share?

11 comments:

Megan Blandford said...

I'm exactly the same. I tried leaving them out of things I cooked - unless hubby was home to chop them for me! - but they really do add flavour. Now, I just halve what the recipe says, so I usually only use half a small onion in a dish.

As for raw onion in salads - I consider that contamination!

Cate said...

Agree with all that!! I tend to use leek instead these days in my cooking - similar taste and less side effects :-)
xxxCate

cityhippyfarmgirl said...

Onions are cheeky buggers, I never know whether it's and old one and going to make me cry or a tasty new one.
Recipe- caramalised onions?

Lucy said...

Onion marmalade.

Will post later!

xx

A Farmer's Wife said...

I must admit I have never thought about onions that much. I just whack them in most things to give a flavour base. Obviously I don't have "onion issues" though...!

I particularly love caramelized red onion.

therhythmmethod said...

My mum rarely used onion in her cooking when I was growing up. When I moved out to go to uni, I started cooking Indian food and I fell in love with onions. I love onions. I can live with all the side effects. Although I hear chewing on a sprig of parsley can help with onion breath. :)

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

I love me an onion. Bad breath, tears and all. I could never give them up. There is no real substitute - though I do concur that leek is particularly good in quiche.

Frog, Goose and Bear said...

Love the onion - I actually posted on the onion a while back - even includes a tip for stopping the tears. http://froggooseandbear.blogspot.com/2010/08/easy-peasy-dinner-winners-12.html
Wouldn't love it so much if I had the same side effects as you though :(

Cottongirl7 said...

Good grief! Never had any issues with onions thankgoodness because I love them. LOVE THEM! I put them in almost everything all the time. In fact I go through a 5lb bag every 1-2 weeks. I hope I never have onion problems or I will have to change every recipie I make! Yikes. Staple in this house. Even the little ones love them. :)

Maxabella said...

I can't cook without onions. To me they are the structure around which a good dish is built. x

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

Ooh, I don't know what I'd do without onions, and the stinkier, the better in my book! (I have realized that wearing contacts keeps my eyes from burning when I cut them...when I have on glasses, I almost can't stand it...crazy, huh?!)

Fortunately our girls love onions, too. They'll pick around roasted potatoes and carrots to pull out the onions and garlic cloves to eat first. They'll shout out "onion!" when they find a big chunk, all proud of themselves, they are. HA!

Hope you can find a common ground with the League of Onions!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...