Saturday, 19 February 2011

52in52: The eye appointments

I am taking a leaf out of Kelly's book and setting myself something new to do each week in 2011. I am going to post about it each week on Saturday. I won't be doing this in any particular order, and will add the link to the post when it is complete. If I don't manage to acheive everything on the list, (highly likely) I will donate $5 for everything I missed to Oxfam for all the amazing work they do. So here goes...


The kids and I had a date with the behavioural optometrist last week.


Our first trip happened when Doo Dah was 10 months old and Nugget was two and a half. I had a few concerns about eye-turns (squints). Neither had particular problems in that arena, but they had to be rechecked after 12 months (when I was gigantically pregnant with the twins). 


We got a letter recommending another 'check up' about a year ago now. It sat on my fridge, beckoning me to take notice. I successfully ignored it for a long time but I finally did make the appointment and off we went.


It never occurred to me that we would walk out of the place with a child in glasses. We didn't, as it happens, but I realised as I was wrangling the twins while the boys were being assessed that this could be a life-changing day for us.


Doo Dah is "absolutely fine"  according to our lovely optometrist. 


Nugget however, is "borderline". His eyes tired during the assessment. The optometrist is concerned that it will effect his "enjoyment of reading". I assured her that there isn't a lot of enjoyment happening at this stage anyway! Skill, yes. Interest, no.


"Maybe glasses will help?" she suggested.


"Not unless they are absolutely necessary", I retorted. Having had glasses since the age of 16, I am well attuned to the 'joys' of being a  'four eyes'.


We agreed to have another look at things in six months. When he is half way through first grade and more ensconced in the world of reading. 


Here's hoping he has his father's eyes instead of his mother's and things remain steady and stable for a while longer.


It is funny the way the simplest things can change your life irrevocably; an ultrasound, a check-up, or a bad day on the road. When did you last have a nice reprieve?

8 comments:

Alice Becomes said...

i am with you on not wanting to jump into the whole glasses thing...

An optometrist wanted to put both my younger brother and I in glasees at age 6...Mum said no as we were "borderline" too...

As it turned out, I have never worn glasses while my brother did end up getting them at about 18...So, I think it was worth waiting on

How right you are though.. Even the simplest things can be life changing...

gill xo

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I am terribly nearsighted, and my hubby is terribly farsighted. I am praying to the mathematical gods that the negative cancels the positive and our girls will have 20/20...HA!

Glad you knocked another one off your list (at least for 6 months), and glad everyone is healthy!

Maxabella said...

Unless they are absolutely necessary for him to avoid walking into walls... resist!!! x

Tat said...

If you have a behavioural optometrist, then she could probably recommend some activities for better vision habits rather than glasses. Children take to them much easier than adults. I absolutely hate my glasses and I believe that natural vision is possible, just haven't had very much like with mine yet (mainly due to my own laziness). Will let you know when I find the magical formula.

Lucy said...

Eeeeek!

Olivia fell from a great height yesterday, from a monkey bar. She was in extreme pain.

A year to the day that Charlie broke his femur, I suspected SHE had broken a collar bone or arm.

A trip to the hospital eventuated in a nice reprieve. Just a sprain.

Repreive = weak with relief.

In six months time, I pray you get that same sweet relief. xx

Cate said...

when I was heavily pregnant with monkey, snowbear dislocated her arm. Obviously that was not my reprieve...the reprieve came in the form of the flailing hissy she had (as you do) when the ambulance man tried to examine her. The result being that she popped her own arm back into place and all was fine...needless to say about 4 hours later I burst into uncontrollable tears - delayed reaction from the stress of the whole thing...but a repreive none-the-less :-)
xxxCate

btw - I have worn glasses since I was 15 so I'm with you on the avoiding it at all costs thing too (also, have you seen how much kiddies glasses go for!!)

Kelly said...

I remember been teased on at school for wearing them when I was a kid so I refused to wear them. I was able to go without glasses until i was 28, when I discovered I couldn't see anything well when I was driving at night. Wearing glasses is such a pain sometimes, hopefully he can go without them at while, they

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

We got told by an optometrist that Mr7 could 'probably have glasses for six months' to correct a small focussing problem. He sees fine, but his eyes take a little longer than they should to focus together. I decided to get a second opinion, about six months ago, which I still haven't got. He's not walking into walls. I'll get there...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...