Thursday, 31 March 2011

Artistic Flair

I have been watching with interest my children's painting skills for some years. Not being at all artistic myself, it is something that I have absolutely no expectations about, but I find it astounding that I can come across a child's painting in the 'wrapping paper basket' and know instantly who the artist was.

Nugget's early paintings were all full page extravaganzas. He would fill every space on the page with strokes and colour usually showing a nice balance, but never pushing any boundaries.

Nugget - Aged almost 3

Nowadays, it is all about small miniscule stick figures doing all manner of activites for Nugget, (usually labelled to assist the viewer) drawn in lead pencil or pen. No colour.

Doo-Dah has had a penchant for large swirls and splashes of colour.

Doo Dah - Aged 3 and a bit
His drawings of people are now starting to have all the appropriate body parts, but he remains an abstract artist at heart.

Dew Drop's paintings are all about lines - horizontal and vertical strokes with barely a wave in them. He is all business.

The Minx loves dots. Her works resemble Aboriginal dot paintings at times, where she splashes the brush persistently against the paper to create a shape (it is rarely recognisable as an object however). She loves her work and paints with vigour and a smile.

Like all other areas of development, my children have shown their different personalities. It is such a wonderful gift to be given the opportunity to watch these unique people grow. Who knows if one of them will become an artist of note but I love that they all think they are now!

I wonder when we become conscious of our artistic talents (or lack there of)? When do we stop painting like no-one is judging?

Do you have a Picasso or perhaps a Dali in your family?

PS: Six items or less update - having trouble getting photos sorted of my six items (probably because I am always wearing some of them and my camera is in hiding). Will continue to try and post stat.

PPS: No photos of the twin's paintings available - will add to post once I find that camera!

21 comments:

Maxabella said...

I am constantly inspired by children's art. I find it immensely satisfying and skillful. Their ability to paint and draw emotion is stunning. Sadly their love of colour and form is something we beat out of them with our 'why is the sky green?' questions. I try not to comment too much, I just let them be. I hope they always attack the canvas with such spirit and imagination. x

Cate said...

My eldest has always been a 'just get as much colour on the page as quickly as possible' kind of artist - with some very spectacular results (yay proud mummy!)
xxxCate

Alice Becomes said...

i also feel like i do not have any artistic ability

so when M1 showed a bit of a flair for painting and drawing I was taken aback....it is funny how I assume my kids talents will lie where mine do (and don't)...

i agree with Maxabella above - their ability to convey emotion is amazing. too many questions about why and how just takes away from their creativity

Such an interesting post!

Gill xo

Lucy said...

Olivia scares me with her style and colour and ability to create magic on a page. She uses watercolours and wax and lead on the same paper and these mesmerising scenes appear.

Charlie point blank refuses. Even as a little kindy boy, when asked to do a pianting: he would just paint the whole entire page one colour. I have kep them. One red, one a murky green, and one blue.

And Lexie is all about the teeny tiny detail, and her name. Her name is involved in every bit of artwork.

Gorgeous, frustrating and fascinating....

Quill and Ink Handmade said...

I started an art journal to document the kids artistic development - it's been really cool watching the way their skills change from week to week. At the moment, Judah's all about golf, so his last few drawings have involved tonnes of small circles and stern lines. I love that he's old enough to be able to tell me what his pictures are all about (even if most of them are about golf).
And even though Lou is more interested in eating the pencils and crayons at the moment, she is favouring a minimalist movement - all paintings have a one-colour splodge, drawings have a couple of feint lines.

Thanks for a great post, MultipleMum x

MultipleMum said...

I love the idea of an art journal, Quill and Handmade! Such a simple, clever idea.

Squiggly Rainbow said...

That's funny, my post yesterday was about my little man's drawing! Thanks for sharing xo

Photographer Mum said...

How funny that you posted about the kids paintings. I was going to do the same thing for the link up this week too, but decided to go with something we do far less often. Like building a cubby house... lol.
I love how kids convey their emotions in their artwork. It's so free and uninhibited.

Kellie said...

Princess Ella's art continues to blow me away. Her drawings have developed so much in the past three months. We now play a game on the Magnadoodle where we have to guess what the other is drawing!

Cath said...

The Munchkin showed early flair with his first painting (proudly hung on his wall) at the tender age of 8 months, which looked scarily like a dragon, but he's proved to be more of a 3D man since then. I cannot seem to encourage him to draw, no matter what - a real problem this week, as his preschool is doing the "draw your own" plate thing, and I'd LOVE to have one.

Painting seems more of a story telling thing to him, so the visuals are usually far less interesting than the story that goes with his artwork. Maybe... one day...

House of Prowse said...

Raw creativity is wonderful!
I love watching my Master's art development.
He just drew his firt perfect rainbow this week.
I hope to keep some of the kid's artwork as I do not have any of mine.
Rewinding with you

Amy said...

My eldest has never been much of a drawer or painter. My middle child loves to paint, draw... she even draws on the shower screen. My youngest isn't old enough to start yet. It will be interesting to see which way he goes.

Diminishing Lucy said...

Oooooh! Since my last comment, Charlie did some painting, of his own accord! Thrilled!

Tat @ Mum in search said...

Isn't it fascinating how they all paint differently? I love Nugget's choice of colours.

Andrea FoxInFlats said...

Gorgeous -- it's such a lovely way for them to express themselves and such an insight into their personalities. x

Kamika said...

I can't wait until my Claire is old enough to do arts and crafts with me :)

Mrs Catch said...

I'm fascinated by children's art as well. Will miss my girls' egg people when they grow past them.

Thea said...

Gorgeous paintings!
It is amazing isn't it?
Being self conscious is a terrible thing in relation to art.
I don't do I because I know I'm not *great*...but I'm not useless either so I shouldn't care so much.
My just-turned-four- year old daughter LOVES to draw/paint/cut/paste/create. She's forever making *surprises* for us. And it is delightful. She isn't showing any signs of becoming a great artist...yet. Yet the way we praise her she may think differently.

Halina said...

I think we start judging ourselves too early. I think it happens somewhere between 12-13. Maybe it's really important then to stand out as the experimenting parent when you children get at that age! :)

sascedar said...

ugh, I hate what school does to children's art (and I'm a teacher!). 30 yellow ducks is craft people, not art.

Saucy B said...

I am really enjoying the evolution of E's artwork. I'll never forget when he first drew a picture of the two of us and the figures actually looked like people. Those little things are so priceless.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...