Sunday, 20 March 2011

Blog Bookmarks - The Aussie Bloggers Conference Edition

Image from here

I started this blog as a record of life, my thoughts and life's little lessons. Since entering the blogosphere, I have now accumulated more words of wisdom, interesting snippets and 'must-reads' to keep track of. It is a mind-field! Blog Bookmarks is a place to highlight some of my favourite finds for the week.

I didn't write much down while I was at the Aussie Bloggers Conference. I am not sure if it was because I didn't realise until the afternoon session that there was some paper available on the table or the fact that I was busily tweevesdropping over people's shoulders, keeping an eye on the Twitter hilarity as the conference went on?

Either way, I only had the following things jotted in my terrible script on my conference program:

1. It turns out that one of the women I went to school with is a bloody fantastic green blogger. "Tricia from Little eco footprints".  I hadn't come across her world before the conference but I had fun in there today. It is only the second time I have seen her in 20 years (she was present at our school reunion last October) but I look forward to reading about her daily.

2. "Watermark your photos" - I have been meaning to do this and it was mentioned a few times throughout the day but a number of people (including Miscellaneous Mummy who had quite a harrowing story to tell!). There are some instructions here.

3. "Focusbooster" - Nicole from Planning with Kids spoke about her ways of dealing with time management and social networking. She referred to a free software called Focusbooster which is based on the pomodoro technique and helps you stay on top of things when online. She really is the PlanningQueen!

4. "Key words" - I ventured to the SEO session and learnt a bit about Search Engine Optimisation from Kristin Rohan from Sassy SEO. It is a tricky business, and one that is constantly changing. The biggest thing that I took away was the importance of using keywords in your posts and titles. All the cryptic headers that I like to use may have to become a thing of the past if I am to rise to the likes of Retro Mummy or Styling You.

5. Frills in the Hills provided the best quote of the day for me: "Make money because of your blog, not on your blog". Here. Here!

6. "Facebook provides more referrals than Twitter" according to Catherine from SquiggleMum and Christie from Childhood 101. If and when I decide if I want to out that Facebook page together (something on my 52in52 list), I will look forward to that!

So help me out if you were there. What did you learn at the ABC?

13 comments:

Megan Blandford said...

I can't believe I didn't meet you! Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog :)

Oh, my mind is reeling from all I learnt. I think the big thing for me is going to be in re-evaluating the whole 'what, why, how' stuff.

Liss said...

Lovely to meet you, I'm sure our paths will cross more often now ;) I think I learnt how diverse the blogging landscape is -even within a genre if that makes sense?

Also it has made me ponder brands and blogs..
Other than that, still processing!

shae said...

I got a lot out of the social media discussion.

And that I probably should have stopped after the first 10 wines at dinner ;)

myshoeboxlife.com said...

As you know I wasn't at the conference, but thank you for giving this sort of feedback. I'm almost too scared to post my first blog since everybody has been at the conference in case I'm breaking the golden rules, and don't have my head in the same space as all the lucky bloggers who were there.

MaidInAustralia said...

I'm not sure that I learned a lot at the ABC, but it drove home many things that I knew but had kind of ignored. Like the watermarks. Most of all, it was just wonderful to meet so many people I had already admired, and discover they are even more awesome in real life than on twitter/facebook/their blogs.

Lucy said...

I am SO tempted to fax you a copy of my notes. Did you have your eagle eyes on them from across a crowded room? Nearly identical.

Another thing that I have come away really feeling content about is the affirmation is that there are a number of ways to have a really good blog. There are no hard and fast rules. And that the 'experts' and the 'top bloggers' happily agree to disagree on some aspects....

Veronica said...

I learned that people and community are more important than a lot of other things. How fantastic were the audience and other attendees? So fantastic.

Cate said...

I agree with Lucy!! My list is almost the same as yours! I also got a lot out of Mark Pollard's discussion (but then I don't tweet, so I think I had a different take on his contribution to many :-))
xxxCate

Tat said...

It seems that almost everyone that has a blog out there is your sister or someone you went to school with. Little Eco Footprints is one of my favourite blogs. Thanks for sharing your list.

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

I didn't write one thing down. Not one. Not because I didn't hear anything worth writing down...just was so in to listening to everyone!

The main thing I came away with was that I'm really not in to my stats, when I post, and where I link from (Twitter/FB) etc. As I've said before, I have no desire to set the world on fire with my blog. I just want to blog. Do some fun stuff on there. Entertain. Be me. That's it!

And that fact that the blogging community is a strong one. A supportive one. Brilliant.

LOVED meeting you. Was looking out all morning and then you were there behind me. YAY! Of course, I'm still quite offended you left early, but you know, I'll EVENTUALLY get over it. Just.

xxx

Miss Pink said...

Ohhh thanks for sharing what you learnt.
I have to say i have zero idea about SEO!

Tricia said...

It was a lovely surprise to see you there. I'm looking forward to following your blog now. And thanks for calling me a 'bloody fantastic green blogger'. Very flattered :-)

Miscellaneous-Mum said...

Hello there,

So sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you! I wrote up my My Blog, My Story talk last night, even though I wasn't sure if I should because even though I've told it, it's still harrowing (good word!)

So glad you were able to come and experience the day. I had a wonderful time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...