Monday, 14 March 2011

The feminist fights the funny

Image found here
I may have come to terms with the fact that I no longer spell women with a 'y'* but I still have a feminist within. For instance:

It bothers me that women do more of the domestic thought than men ("Fadmin" as Angela Mollard called it in the Sunday magazine yesterday).

It bothers me that working Mums have to have more sick days than their husbands when the children are unable to attend school/daycare.

And it really bothers me to be exposed to sexist jokes.

We went to see Billy Connolly on Saturday night with some friends. I can't say I have ever been a big fan of the Scotsman, but I thought that it would be interesting to see such a big-name comic doing his thing. I was also excited to be ticking another thing off my 52in52 list!

It took me a little while to acclimatise to his show. I don't know if it was the black and white stripey pants he wore or the fact that he kept pacing backwards and forwards along the stage or the fact that a man the same age as my father used more 'f' bombs than you would hear in a high school playground?

Whatever it was, I was feeling pretty uncomfortable initially. I got past the culture shock though and his fart jokes and slap-stick humour was kind of funny for a bit. And then he lost me again.

Was it the part where he was talking about an ex-teacher he had who he called an 'f*n b!tch' repeatedly and loudly?

Or the bit where he inferred that all women are hand-brakes to their husbands who were subsequently feeling repressed and irritated?

Or perhaps there were just too many pelvic thrusts aimed at women to shut them up "Take that b!tch" style?.

But I don't want to unfairly review him. There was some balance to all his misogynist jokes.  He had a go at other groups too. Disabled people. Tick. Children. Tick. Homosexuals. Tick.

But funnily, there wasn't one derogatory joke that involved a man (that I noticed).

I don't want to come across all P.C. but I don't think Billy's show would have lost anything if he'd just left those uncomfortable bits out. In fact, Billy's show would have gained something. A bit of class.

What do you think about sexist jokes? Are we too sensitive these days?


*I stole that line from someone in a book I read recently. I can't quite remember from whom but I loved it.

6 comments:

Maxabella said...

But if he left out those bits, he would have had to leave out the disabled bits and the kids bits and the homosexual bits and then what on earth would the man have had left to say? x

Holly Ann said...

Personally, I'm not usually offended by sexist jokes. They're just jokes and I expect them at a comedy show. However, I would get really annoyed if that was the majority of a comedian's set. No one wants to hear about the same topic for an hour and after awhile, it would probably become more offensive than humorous.

therhythmmethod said...

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your comedy night more, what a shame!
As for sexist jokes, I agree with you completely. They don't make me angry, I just don't think there is a place for them in my world. There are other ways to make a joke, and I think comedians should try harder and rise above the need to denegrate people to get a laugh.

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

I like Billy when he does cleanish, made for tv travel programs. Haven't seen him do anything else. Probably don't need to now.

Lizeylou said...

I think Billy is a bit of a dick - or shouldn't I say that??? There are jokes and then there is just wrong. Sometimes I think comedians get away with saying things that are a "joke" but really it is just not necessary.

Alice Becomes said...

i think we spend so much time trying to teach our children to be inclusive these days, that it is kind of hypocritical to laugh at jokes made at the expense of others...we wouldn't let our children make a joke towards a disabled kid in their classroom, should we teach them that they must wait to make jokes about homosexuals until they are old enough to charge people to hear them do it?

seems like mixed messages to me

gill xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...