Wednesday, 23 March 2011

The thighs have it

Image from here
I started playing five a side indoor soccer last week.

It has been lots of fun, and ever so nice to see some dear friends regularly!

I don't think I am talking out of turn if I admit that we are pretty bloody terrible, by anyone's standards. But we are yet to totally embarass ourselves. Two losses, but only a goal in each game. Not too bad for a bunch of newbies.

I had a brief affair with soccer in my early thirties. I loved it: being part of a team; having a legitimate excuse to unleash my competitiveness; having a weekly romp in the grass. What's not to like?

My last season in 2004 ended abruptly, when I got pregnant with Nugget and dashed my hopes and dreams of being a Masters Australian soccer star. The fact that I couldn't actually play all that well has no bearing in my memory; just the fact that I had to end the season early because my baby bump grew.

While I was feeling a little apprehensive about recommencing my fling with the world game last week, the moment we worked out the rules and got ourselves into position, I was hooked again.

The 30 minute game flew by in a sea of sweat, breathless moments, kicks, laughs and confused looks. It was enough to exhaust me and I was still wearing my tight quads until about Friday last week. Sigh.

And then last night, as I timidly stepped back out for another game against women half my age, those same thigh muscles punished me. After 5 minutes of play I was sore and tight, a lot less flexible and kind of wishing I didn't have to get through the game. Sigh.

Like many aspects of life, it is not like it used to be.

Maybe this cougar hasn't got what it takes to tame the young beast anymore?

Have you experienced team sports lately? How have you found your performance? Still got what it takes? Or, like me, are you needing to rethink your involvement?

14 comments:

Cate said...

I think you're brilliant!!!!! Sooooo my inspirational post of the week :-)
And as for your muscles fatiguing so quickly - you may just need to warm up for longer. Really stretch well, then go for a brisk walk, then a short jog. It may seem counterinuitive - like you're wearing yourself out before the game - but a thorough warm up will really help with your endurance :-)
And sadly, no - I don't participate in any team sports at the moment...but maybe you've inspired me to get back into it??
xxxCate

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

love this post.....I did have a brief fling with netball and have made countless promises to myself to take it up again..but alas...have not made the jump yet. Very inspiring indeed and soccer woweeee, I fear I would collapse in a heap on the field with all the energy required for that sport. Well done!

Baby Weight and Beyond said...

I played soccer for 16 years! I loved it but got too busy!

Keep playing!

Lucy said...

I am a recent re-convert back to Netball. (I have searched for hockey locally - no joy, sadly.)

When I was still very overweight, I realised how much I missed team sports. And school yard games such as skipping and elastics. To get back into this kind of fun huffy puffy has been a major aim. And now I am.

And I agree with Cate ... At least 10 mins to warm up, At least 10 mins to stretch afterwards.

Kymmie said...

If you love it, you definitely shouldn't stop it. Good on you. And those thighs will thank you after a few more games. I love a solid thigh ;) xx

Joni Llanora said...

Good on you for playing regardless how young you are. I was never a sports enthusiasts as I tire easy or use that as an excuse. But it's good exercise I know. So I'll just cheer for you.

MaidInAustralia said...

I've never really liked group sports ... I kind of like tuning out of everything and tuning into my body while working out either in a gym on my own; doing a yoga, tai chi, zumba or pilates class; or walking somewhere gorgeous like the rainforest or beach. It's kind of me time, and when I wrote a lot of fiction it was when I got my best ideas. My body is not what it was though, so there is less thinking about stories and more being in the moment, which is probably a good thing!

Lizeylou said...

I haven't played sport since High school (quite some time ago!!) so I think youre totally ace for going back to playing. Good at it or not - if its fun and you get to have a laugh .... keep playing I say!

Maxabella said...

I didnt know thou were doing this! How fab!! x

DancingInTheRain said...

Warming up and down is sounding like a good idea. Team jog round the block afterwards maybe?!

Loving team sports - good on so many levels. Fun, friends, fitness, finesse?.....

therhythmmethod said...

I used to play social beach volleyball, and had a serious height disadvantage at 5 Ft. I always dreaded BV night, but once we were out there it was so much fun and as you say, i could unleash my normally tucked away competitiveness. Reading this makes me miss it.
Good for you!

Fiona said...

We almost had a team jog the first match... until the scary pink team turned up ...

Ellie said...

The closest thing I've done lately to team sports is bowling, which I loved years ago and was rather good at. Now, not so much. There were 10 yr old kids a few lanes down doing better than me. But I have fun and am getting better. And so far, no pain. My friend though is very sore for a few days following.

If you want, you can read my Fat to Fit HERE

Adalita said...

I don't do team sports. I never enjoyed team sports. The only one I enjoyed at school was cross country our open girls team came third in our district. Running and cross mountain biking are my thing. I also do workouts in the morning and afternoon too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...