Saturday, 16 April 2011

52in52: Fundraising

Photo found here
I am taking a leaf out of Kelly's book and setting myself something new to do each week in 2011. I am going to post about it each week on Saturday. I won't be doing this in any particular order, and will add the link to the post when it is complete. If I don't manage to achieve everything on the list, (highly likely) I will donate $5 for everything I missed to Oxfam for all the amazing work they do. So here goes...


I have done it! Entered the Mother's Day Classic and set up a fundraising page. Photographer Mum sponsored me yesterday (thanks Penny) fulfilling one of my 52in52 targets: Enter a fun run and raise money for a worthwhile charity.

I have to run 8km, starting at the crack of dawn on Mother's Day. I will be doing the Cliffy Young shuffle in Sydney, while other bloggers will be taking up the gauntlet in other states around Australia.

One of my friend's died of breast cancer last year. She was an amazing, strong and engaged woman. Inspiring in her approach to life, and death. It put things into perspective for me. Life is short. Shit happens to really good people. Only the good die young. Live each moment as if it were your last. Cliches all of them, but cliches came about for a reason.

I've never really known what I could do in memory of my friend but raising money for cancer research seems to be a good start. So when the Mother's Day Classic was advertised, I saw it as the perfect opportunity to give something back to the community that helped my friend for seven long years. She was worth it.

Now, if you want to help me and thousands of other runners around Australia raise money for breast cancer research, you have two options:

1. Enter the event yourself (early bird cut off is Sunday so there is still time)
2. Here's the link to my sponsorship page: http://bit.ly/fEQk5n Sponsor me a couple of shekels and I will do you proud.

You up for it?

9 comments:

Lucy said...

I am running it too, here in sunny old SA. Andrew thinks I am mad to, as it means I miss out on a lie in and brekky in bed.

xx

Alice Becomes said...

Done! The sponsorship, not enrollment in the run...

Good on you for doing this

Gill xo

Megan Blandford said...

Yay! Well done :)

Cate said...

I'm running over here in Melb too...the more the merrier :-)
xxxCate

Shelley said...

Well done you! Glad to see the Cliffy Young shuffle will be back in action. xx

therhythmmethod said...

I am so not a runner. Very happy to sponsor you though. Good woman!! Can't wait to hear how you go.

allison tait said...

Go you! I joined the sponsorship club. x

cityhippyfarmgirl said...

I'll be shuffling around too, and also with the memory of a good friend firmly on my mind.
Hope those shekels mount up.

Kymmie said...

What a great excuse to go for a jolly long walk. Off to sponsor now (because I won't be walking unfortunately!)

Also, great to see that you're trying something new every week. You can join in on my Try Something New Every Week linky too ;) x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...