Thursday, 28 April 2011

The day after the 30 days before

Image from here
Today is the first day after the Six Items of Less challenge. Let me tell you: I am absolutely NOT wearing a single item from my group of six. They are all having a well-earned rest, for services rendered.

I cannot even tell you how excited I was to slip into my jeans this morning! Jeans!

What I learned from all of this madness:

1. Six items is more than enough to have a varied wardrobe. When you think that there are millions of people world wide who would kill for six different things to wear, it bangs it home loud and clear that you really don't NEED all of those clothes in your wardrobe.

2. Autumn is all about layers and there is only so much layering six items allows you. If you are going to try this at home, might I suggest that you wait until the Summer months?

3. Six items or less is hard when you spend three days at work, and four days at home. My outfits were too dressy for home, too casual for work. A lose:lose really.

4. I am definitely rethinking the children's wardrobes this season and getting them far less than I have in the past. Less = less decision-making about what to wear = smaller piles of washing. I'm all for that!

5. I am having a 'spring clean' in Autumn and tossing anything in my wardrobe that I didn't miss over the last month.

6. Not one single person who sees me regularly seemed to notice that I spent the last month in the same clothes. Not one. I told my colleagues yesterday and they said: "Did you? Really? Everyday the same thing?". Just goes to show how little attention people pay to what you wear.

7. I think I over-wash. Usually I wear something once and it goes into the clothing hamper, but I snuck a couple of days in where my T-shirt may have been on one day more than was strictly legal, but with some decent over-night airing and deoderant, I got away with it.

8. Clothes aren't really made to be worn as frequently as I wore them this month. I had quite a few wardrobe malfunctions that required me to learn a bit of sewing! It was both horrifying and liberating to see myself on the couch hemming my pants or replacing a button. What is next? Darning socks? 

9. Accessories are the bomb. I mean, any outfit can work with the right accessories. My wardrobe will be more about that in the future. Fewer clothes. More accessories.

10. Next time, should there be a next time, I am not going without my jeans. I think I will live in them for the next 30 days to make up for lost time.

I think I am going to adopt the six items or less for each category of my wardrobe - six dresses, six skirts, six pairs of longs, you get what I mean? Do you think you could do that?

15 comments:

A Christy Production said...

Good on you!! I definitely would not have lasted. I have a weird issue with wearing things too often, it's ridiculous. Cause you're right, people don't REALLY notice. I mean, if you were wearing a fluro green shirt everyday they would notice...

I LOVE accessories too!! I have SOOOO many necklaces, bangles, earrings, scarves, headbands, you name it. I have tonnes to choose from for the very same reason you now love them.

Tat said...

Very insightful post. 6 items or less for each category sounds pretty reasonable. Even for autumn and winter.

Kymmie said...

I love this post-analysis. So interesting that nobody noticed what you wore! I had a friend around the other day who's a bit mad for a WHOPPING wardrobe (my mind boggles - really it does). She follows my blog and was so surprised to see how small my wardrobe was (it's not even a walk in). Because I don't really have much. But I accessorise the hell out of what little I have. And that is clever dressing! I'm going to join you next time (should there be a next time)! And yes, jeans would be part of my essentials too ;)

xx

Tammi said...

I don't think I could survive with only six items of clothing but I could definitely do six items for each catergory...actually I think it's high time I cleaned out my wardrobe as there are things lurking in there that haven't seen the light of day for well over two years.
x

Maxabella said...

I thought you looked great every time I saw you - appropriately dressed, co-ordinated, not smelly at all.

I'm not surprised that no-one noticed... none of us really pays attention to what anyone else is doing because we're all too busy worrying that everyone is paying us attention. Hmmmm...

And, really, how long have I been telling you about the accessories not-so-secret? x

Lizeylou said...

Again you are amazing. I think I would have really struggled - but the 6 items for each category - that is something that think I could do. I may just have to give it a go!

Diminishing Lucy said...

Brilliant! You are inspiring me totally to really gut my wardrobe. I have a thing in every size just in case. Ridiculous.

Well done, seriously well done.

karencharlton said...

Fantastic post! So true. I take this approach to my boys' clothes. They wear all of their clothes because they don't have many. It's taught me that my own wardrobe is ridiculous. I should just keep it minimal, wear things out, then buy new stuff when I have to, rather than shopping just for the fun of it.
And yes, now I have 3 kids I've realised how much I used to overwash. Some things get a whole new day's wear simply by cleaning a spot with a wet cloth.

allison tait said...

Am so impressed you did this. I think those lessons are ones we can all take on board. Good on you!

Suzi said...

I culled my wardrobe recently and I really only had a little over 6 items of clothing I actually wore anyway, the rest just sat there. it was liberating to take the stuff to Vinnies and my new rule is if I buy something new I must get rid of something old.

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

I am so fascinated with this experiment but not sure that I am brave enough to try. I mean six, just six?!?

Shelley said...

Well done! That is such a good learning experience I'm sure. I tend to wear the same things to work each week, casual though, so a couple of pairs of jeans, a couple of t-shirts, a couple of long sleeve cardis, and converse. It's interesting you mention that people didn't notice - I have realised that after I have seen somebody, I can't ever recall what they were wearing. I remember every detail of our conversation, but not how they were dressed!

ClaireyH said...

I lovebthat no one noticed, it really shows how other people do not remember you for what you wear.

Tricia said...

I totally agree with the 'fewer clothes. More accessories' idea. After the six items of less challenge I'm slowly decreasing my wardrobe down to only three colours (brown, blue and black) and am planning to add some interest with accessories. But I’m totally hopeless at accessorising. I don’t even remember to wear my wedding ring half the time let alone accessories. One day… I’ll just be boring for now.

Kate said...

Wow that would be a hard task at home! Although when we were travelling for 6 months I was kinda forced into the rule of six so I didn't have to carry the whole wardrobe! Now we are home I am suffering from the burden of too much choice with my full wardrobe again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...