Wednesday, 6 April 2011

The girl who cried wolf

Image from here
Ever since our trip to Fiji at Christmas, the Minx tells us she 'has a sore tummy' if she wants us to pick her up. Over in Fiji, you see, she did have a sore tummy (Bula Belly as I named it) and we would carry her from place to place.

For the last three months, as we have trotted over the road to get Nugget from school each day, the Minx would often claim she had 'a sore tummy'.  She would look up at me with her big, brown eyes and say "Up-y Mum? I have a sore tummy".

At first her ploy it worked and I would pick her up, but as the requests increased in frequency and she has gotten heavier and heavier (have I mentioned how well-covered she is?), I have found myself telling her the story of The Boy who Cried Wolf.

She is all of two, so probably doesn't get it, but it relieves my guilt of not wanting to lug her around. We have often been seen, walking along together in the school playground. Her, whining and raising her arms up at me; me, ignoring her and scurrying along.

Today we had to go to Medicare and while we were at the shops, the Minx started up with her "I have got a sore tummy" and I started up with my The Boy who Cried Wolf banter.

An hour later she chucked for Australia all over the car.

*Sigh*

What do your children do when they don't want to walk somewhere? How do you determine the ploy from the real McCoy?

11 comments:

Photographer Mum said...

My kids are prone to "sore legs" and that's usually after they INSIST on walking... I ignore it. Or try to at least...

Lucy said...

Lexie tells me (at nearly five) that "I am just a baby Mumma. You NEED to pick me up. Or I shall have a meltover. I shall scream, Mumma. I will. I promise."

Needless to say, her tactics don't work...I am a meanie. I let her tantrum. And then step over her as she flings herself drying to the floor....

Zoe said...

I've tried to tell my almost 4 year old the boy who cried wolf story. He's got this habit of saying ouch everytime anything touches him. One day he will be sore and I'm going to look like a terrible mum!

Frog, Goose and Bear said...

You know my 2 year old says the exact same thing!!! "I have a sore tummy" has become the new catch phrase over the last one. It can mean anything from her feeling hungry, needing to do a poo or sick of walking and wanting me to pick her up.

Frog, Goose and Bear said...

P.S. I hope the Minx is feeling better now.

Kristy said...

Say, that is a good idea - to read that story to my son. He always tries to fake sick just before bed to try and get me to let him sleep with me. He is a persistent little bugger, that one, I tell ya.

therhythmmethod said...

I think you have to keep going with the story and not picking her up, although her spewing is very unfortunate. Hope she's better.
Kids have a long memory. My husband always 'gives in' when we ask our 2 year old to walk. I try to call his bluff as much as possible, but if he is genuinely tired, I let him go in the pram. There is only so much I can do. I'm not carrying a 2 year old AND a baby.

Maxabella said...

Oh man! You guys are in the wars right now! I hope the Minx is okay. x

Lizeylou said...

Poor Minx and poor you having to clean all of that up!! Vomit is just wrong! My littlest who is two just sits down because she "needs a little rest" It could be on the footpath, the supermarket floor, the side of the road or her favourite at times is on the road - She has worked out pretty fast that if she sits on the road I will pick her up (cant really leave her there can I) so thats our latest trick. Am hoping it passes very fast!

Melissa said...

Oh my..and it is hard to know the real deal. My Autistic son at the age of 12 decided to cry wolf and earned a day home. I found out a day later he was lying to me because a boy on the bus dared him to skip school by lying to his Mum. I didn't punish him but told him about the story about the boy who cried wolf. A week later he complained of a tummy ache before school and I told him without a fever I could trust him to tell me the truth..off to school he went. An hour after he got to school I got the call from the nurse asking for a pick up..my son had just yacked in the garbage can. ugh I felt guilty but my son truly did learn the lesson to always tell the truth first. lol

Kirsty said...

uh-oh bummer about the vomit. Noah had a massive power vomit about a week and a half ago and we had to get him out of bed and shower him etc etc sow the last couple of nightw when he didn't want to sleep he told me he thought he was going to jommel (that's how he says vomit its kinda cute.

I told him to go to sleep and luck for me it was a fake or i would have felt really bad.

Mother Guilt hey you can't escape it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...