Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Honey facial cleanser

Image from here
Throughout this buy nothing new (BNN) venture I have been encountering quandaries. One of the areas has been beauty products.

I have a pretty simple beauty regime:
Face/neck - cleanse, moisturise, occasional mask (not often enough some would argue). I also use mascara, foundation and lipstick on work days.
Body - exfoliate weekly, body butter/moisturiser most days, deodorant daily
Hair - shampoo and condition every two days

I wouldn't say that I am high maintenance at all.

I haven't had a lot of turn-over in the beauty product department in the last couple of months. I did run out of foundation but found another one tucked in the bathroom cabinet, so that problem was averted. For now.

This week my facial cleanser ran out, and just like that I have had to come up with a solution.
The only thing I could think of to do was make my own. I am no stranger to DIY beauty products. My sisters and I used to cook up some lovely home-made recipes straight out of the Dolly magazine back in the day. I remember mess and difficulty keeping it fresh for more than a day (thankfully we were three happy adolescents in those days so were able to use the stuff up in no time).

So as I pondering my situation and squeezing the last drops out of my store-bought, chemical containing cleanser, I came across this post by Little Eco Footprints. The honey facial cleanser. Could honey be my saviour?

Well, I tried out my honey cleanser this morning (a little drizzled on my face-washer and applied to my face) and I have to say that I was impressed! I know a single day experiment is not much of a quality study, but I am just happy that I didn't have to cook up a stinky paste to clean my face the organic way. Simple. Neat. Inexpensive. Win. Win. Win. I am going to keep it up and see what my skin thinks.

Thankfully, I haven't had to think much about the other items in my beauty product list. One thing at a time suits me much better than a complete overhaul all at once. The shampoo/conditioner combination is looking to be the next casualty, so I will have to work on a plan for them next (bicarb soda and apple vinegar anyone?)

Have you tried cleansing in honey? What are your thoughts? How about other natural hair care and/or beauty products? Share your recipes and suggestions!

17 comments:

DancingInTheRain said...

I am feeling very thankful for my stash of beauty products at the moment! Very resourceful of you! Could you smell the honey during the day?

Amy said...

I would of never thought to use plain honey as a cleanser.
I will defiantly be giving it a go when my cleaner runs out.

Anonymous said...

Well done! I checked out some websites on make-it-yourself facial scrubs before my wedding and came up with sugar and olive oil, honey featured in one recipe, but the first one worked a treat! I worked with a girl who lived ah la naturarl and washed hair with soap, cleaned with bicarb and vinegar - there is definitly a whole world out there of naturalities! Have fun experimenting! Kath xx

Alice Becomes said...

yay! fabulous stuff, good on you for giving it a go

I occasionally use a little olive oil and sugar mixed together as a facial scrub

Gill xo

Hot Cross Mum said...

Sounds lovely. Having recently lived as a 1930s housewife for a day and washed my hair with carbolic soap I can honestly say that honey sounds very appealing!

Jodie at Mummy Mayhem said...

Ooh, I like this idea!

I think honey is amazing.

I was at a function last Friday, and the lady there said if you get one of those horrible cystic kind of 'blind' pimples, you should ice it for 5mins, break for 2 mins, ice for further 5 mins, remove. Put some manuka honey on the cyst, cover with a bandaid and go to bed. Apparently it will be GONE in the morning.

Honey...amazing stuff...

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

I have never cleansed with honey. But there is a first time for everything.

Mrs BC said...

I will definitely be trying this, thanks for the tip. I make my own body scrub, & blogged about it here.
http://mrsbcshouseofchaos.blogspot.com/2010/09/body-scrub-contains-no-unicorn-turd.html
It works a treat!
x

Cate said...

honey?? Can't wait to see the pics!!!
xxxCate

Cate said...

You should pop over to 'little poppa & me' today - she's got a recipe for diy washing powder...
xxxCate

Maxabella said...

Honey makes a good mask for dry skin too... it is naturally anti-bacterial and cleansing. Knowing your skin as I do, I reckon if you added one drop of tea tree oil to that honey you would be smiling (with no frown lines, undoubtedly).

Surely shampoo and conditioner rates as a 'necessity'? Seriously!

If not, I have an old stash of pantene pro V in my unused bathroom cabinet. I bought it on a major special about a week before I foudn Moo Goo and I haven't been back to it. It's going to waste... you should take it? Surely that fits in with your plan? x

cityhippyfarmgirl said...

I love using honey on my face. It's a lovely gentle exfoliant. If that gets too drying after awhile, you could also use a muslin square (or gauze) with a bit of sorbolene in the shower. The muslin gentle exfoliates while the sorbolene doesn't strip your skin. Soft and clean!

Tammi said...

Honey is great isn't it? I have only just started cleansing with it and love it.
I am trying the whole shampoo free thing and finding that okay too...
Fiona at Brave new me blogged about it here

http://bravenewfiona.blogspot.com/2011/03/simple-life-challenge-no-more-shampoo.html

xx

Tricia said...

I'm glad you tried and liked the honey :-)

Mrs BC said...

Yesssss my second comment to this post!
Just wanted to let you know I tried honey on a face washer as cleanser & it worked really well. I think I was a bit rough with the face washer but I was impressed enough to do it again.
So, thanks for the tip! I tried it, & it works!
x

Anonymous said...

I just started using honey as a cleanser about a week ago, and have seen a huge difference - hopefully it stays this way. However I would recommend using something else to remove makeup beforehand. I use the sensitive Dove beauty bar first and rinse, then use honey and let it sit for a few minutes. I had about 5 pimples around my jawline that hadn't budged in a month, and they are all gone! Loving it so far..

Erin said...

Following thread from your most recent BNNFAY (so impressed) anyhow to answer we're currently using Manuka honey for teen with acne, hoping to reduce scaring. have to let you know but looks most promising:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...