Tuesday, 19 April 2011

An inherited skill of avoidance

Image from here
I was forced to mend my red blouse last night. The bottom button had mysteriously fallen off and needed to be reattached. Sticky tape wouldn't fix this little wardrobe malfunction and if it weren't for the six-items-or-less challenge, I would have stashed my shirt to the back of my wardrobe, never to be worn again.

I managed to sew it back on, channelling my inner Sewing Queen. She's pretty dormant around these parts as you know. Dormant, but surprisingly, semi-skilled it seems.

My Mum told me the other day that she spent most of her 'sewing' classes at school doing 'mathematical equations'. You see, if you mucked up in sewing class, you had to do maths. Mum deliberately misbehaved each lesson so she didn't have to sew. "Anything but the needle" she said to me.

You see?

It's hereditary.

12 comments:

Photographer Mum said...

lol, that sounds a bit like me...the whole avoidance thing, and I do sew. I think I am just a bit lazy sometimes... Am I weird, I enjoyed both Sewing and Maths at school, but I hated Commerce. Seriously just didn't get it.

Photographer Mum said...

Oh, I also posted a photo of the remnants of the lipstick Will discovered...

Frog, Goose and Bear said...

Thankfully my skill of avoidance wasn't inherited - I still give my mending to my Mum!! And my mother in law too if truth be known....

DancingInTheRain said...

Well done! You might grow to enjoy it, you never know!

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

I can vouch for the hereditary.

Toni said...

I don't mind sewing buttons on (it makes me feel all Betty Housewife) but that's where the sewing gene ends with me.
My mum made clothes for a living, and not one of her daughters enjoys sewing.

Maxabella said...

So funny, so true! I hate sewing. I really do. But something in me makes me want to do it. x

Alice Becomes said...

oh I inherited that gene, without doubt

I FAILED Clothing in high school - that and a random class called Caring for Children...

My poor kids

Gill xo

therhythmmethod said...

Good for you! I have a similar attitude to sewing, but when it comes down to it it's quite easy to mend a hole or sew a button, it's just hard to find the time.
I mended some socks before our trip. Felt good to just get it done, rather than put them aside and forget about them (which is what I would normally do).

Lucy said...

Confession: I claim to have a Needlework 'O'Level. Or rather, my school gave me one. I have the certificate and used the points from this exam to get into uni.

I never, ever took the class or the exam. Never.

I have no idea how I ended up with that "exam pass".

It still makes me giggle.

Kymmie said...

Oh, this is so funny! I can just imagine your mum willingly going the maths equations with renewed vigour!

xx

Suzi said...

Im a bit of a failure in the domestic goddess department... Avoiding anything sewing /cleaning related sounds good to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...