Thursday, 21 April 2011

Now is the time to ... stretch

Image from here
My mother-in-law gave us this book called Now is the Time: 170 ways to seize the moment by Patrick Lindsay. It is neat. I have posted some things from it before, here, here and here.

So when I randomly opened the book today, here is what I found:

Now is the time to...

STRETCH

Watch a cat or a dog.
See their languid stretches.
Notice how much they enjoy the moment.
It releases tension.
It flexes the spine.
It tones the muscles.
Exponents of Yoga know the benefits.
Follow their lead.

"You are only as young as your spine is flexible"- Bob Harper (1965-    )

I love a good stretch, so today I am going to pull out my Yoga DVD (after I take my four kids to the dentist - now there's something I bet you wish you were doing today?) and make like a downward facing dog.

My kids love doing it too, so I reckon we will have a 'family' Yoga class (which means that one, two or more children will end up climbing all over me while I try to find my inner Zen). The laughter alone will be good for my soul, but maybe not my chi.

You have got to start somewhere.

How will you incorporate stretching into your day?

Addit 22/04/2011: I will be back on Tuesday, after a refreshing Easter long weekend break with my family at Wiseman's Ferry. I hope you have time to put your feet up a little and indulge in some chocolately goodness. x

14 comments:

Lucy@DiminishingLucy said...

Love me a good stretch. I have one of those plastic fitness band thingos. Tug of war with Charlie. The laughter is the best medicine.

xx

Cate said...

don't do nearly enough of this! And I've never done yoga - despite being told on so many occassions that I should give it a try (but I just know I'd have a giggle fit and get sent out by the serious types :-)
xxxCate

Tammi said...

Not too sure about the stretching....but laughter I can definitely do :)

A Christy Production said...

My groin muscles hurt just LOOKING at that picture.....

Suzi said...

I'm not the most flexible person out there but yoga with the kids actually sounds quite fun - at very least the laughing will stretch the ab muscles!

DancingInTheRain said...

Isnt there a kids yogo program (yogogo?) where they make teletubby noises while the sun shines down on them?! Maybe you could work that in....

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Excellent advice. I'm off to have a good stretch right now.

Mrs Woog said...

Arm stretches to the fridge..... and back

cityhippyfarmgirl said...

Nothing better than a good stretch. I see the the kids 'helping' stretch as extra weight training, (otherwise it's too annoying!)
thanks for the reminder, I'm off to stretch now...

Doodah said...

There's nothing like a big, long stretch just before you get out of bed in the morning. Ahhhh!

therhythmmethod said...

I used to do a stretch class on a Sunday morning. I loved it. I may attempt it with the boys, although no doubt it will end up in giggles and talk of bottoms (everything at the moment ends in talk of bottoms ...)
Happy Easter!! See you next week. :)

Kelly said...

does stretching everyday before getting out of bed count? hehe

Wanderlust said...

Reading this makes me realize I worked out today for the first time in ages...and forgot to stretch!

Megan Blandford said...

It's little things like stretching and deep breathing that we often forget in our day-to-day lives, but they're such easy ways to make us feel better. Thanks for the reminder. *standing up for a big stretch*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...