Thursday, 7 April 2011

Six items or less challenge: update

Since March 28 and signing up to the sixitemsorless.com challenge, I have only been able to wear six items of clothing (except underwear, outerwear, exercise gear and pyjamas). It has been an interesting 10 days!

Selecting the items:
The hardest thing was selecting the clothes I wanted to wear for the challenge. Not being an instinctive fashionista, I googled the challenge and looked through the images that other people had of the clothes they wore and read their blogs.

I discovered that too many patterns was out (limits the mix and match options).

I learnt that 'all black' was out (too dreary).

I learnt that all work and no play makes the wearer a little over dressed in situations.

I learnt you need to pick fairly durable clothes and nothing that needs dry cleaning because you need to wash your items frequently throughout the month.

I learnt that you need to be prepared for the unpedictable weather (especially at this time of year!). I opted for 'cooler' clothes rather than 'warmer' ones, rationalising that I can wear something from the 'outerwear' or 'underwear' range if need be.

But when it came right down to it, it is all about accessorising, so I selected things that I thought I had a good chance of dressing up or down with accessories, shoes, hats and bags.

The selections (excuse the photography!):
Dress; Vest;  Black T-shirt (shown as brown in the photos because the black one is MIA in the piles of washing); Black pants; Red blouse; and dark denim A-line skirt.



Not sure why the photo rotations are all over the place here?

Impressions from the first 10 days:
  • Lots of washing!
  • Have worn combinations of these clothes that I wouldn't have worn before with a positive result.
  • One of the hems on my black pants has already come down - am working on learning to sew it back up (not my skill set as you know) but have had to use sticky tape the day after it happened so that I had something to wear. Hmmm...
  • Have been cold at times!
  • After completing the Adventure race, I had to change back into my nominated clothes whereas I would have loved to have been able to stay in my trackie daks.
What do you think your six items would be and why?

15 comments:

Tat said...

Sticky tape for hems? What a great idea! I usually leave my stuff for months until I find time to repair it, but now I have a quick option.

Tat said...

P.S. With that choice, yes, you would be very cold at times. And you've got a while to go. Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for some sunshine for your sake.

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

OMG, I'd be stuck. I'd have to have jeans in there I think. I only have one skirt, so that. Um... Glad it's you, not me. PS: buy some of that hemming tape - is the same as using sticky tape only much more durable.

Lucy said...

I'm with Al on the hemming tape. Or an office stapler works like a charm too...

I'd be picking a pair of jeans too...

Alice Becomes said...

Yep I live in a pair of black (breaking the rules by being too dreary?) high waisted jeans (great for sucking in the tummy)..

Actually, now I think of it I wear the same clothes every day anyway, so perhaps I could do it!?

Gill xo

MultipleMum said...

I definitely thought about jeans but sadly I can't wear them to work so they had to be struck. Hemming tape? Must invest...oh that's right I can't buy anything new this year...sticky tape it is until I work on my sewing skills!

Photographer Mum said...

ooh, 6 items is a tough one.
1: Jeans
2:3/4 black top
3:purple short sleeved top
4:another pair of jeans
5:striped t-shirt
6:long sleeved white top

I'll hem your pants if you like. I sew all the time.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Trish.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Interesting concept - I could probably do it with

jeans x 2
khaki 3/4 cargo pants
black 3/4 sleeve top
purple 3/4 sleep top
Floral T- shirt

Glad it doesn't include pjs and exercise gear. I'd dress up the shirts if I went out with an outerwear jacket ...just as well we rarely go anywhere except church.

(hemming tape - la la la ...)

Kirsty said...

This is totally my normal life. I am living in a limbo where I refuse to buy clothes until I lose weight and now I'm pregnant again so that's gonna be awhile. I reckon I rotate through even less than 6 items some weeks.

Glowless @ Where's My Glow said...

I live in 2 pairs of pants and about half a dozen tops so I'm not far off the challenge without trying. I'm another one in the 'won't buy clothes til I've lost my baby weight' category.

Oh, and I've stapled a hem before :)

Kristy said...

Oh, no, you poor thing, you've been cold. What drive you have to commit to this! I would definitely have to have 2 jeans and then a few shirts and a couple of cardigans/sweaters.

Posie Patchwork said...

Could not & would not do this, i wear way too much colour, combinations & styles - dresses, skirts, jeans, pants, shorts, kaftans - that is just 6 different pieces to cover my bottom!! I'd have to resort to jeans & 5 different types of tops, but then i love cardigans, um, no, couldn't do it. I'd end up cheating & wear 'better tops' to the gym, as my day wear until i went to the actual gym, just for the sake of colour!! Well done to you though, love Posie

Tricia said...

I know what you mean about wearing combinations that you wouldn't have worn before, but work. When I did the challenge I wore a pair of shorts (the lightweight hiking kind that can convert to pants with zippers) to work with a black top ... and I think I looked OK.

Good luck learning how to hem your pants :-) One of my skirt hems came down during the challenge. I ironed it flat hoping nobody would notice. Months later I still wear the skirt hem-less. One day...

Being Me said...

Hemming is a pain. If you have double-sided tape it's great (and more invisible than stickytape) til you get time/can be bothered with the sewing.

Kymmie said...

I've been wondering how you've been going. I was going to do this, but missed the deadline on the website, then decided it was worth doing it with everyone else. And then I thought it might make a great theme for a month (with perhaps more clothes?) I think I would be suffering from the literal "I have nothing to wear" because it WOULD be in the wash!

You're doing so great. But yes. HARD!

xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...