Monday, 18 April 2011

Where do you fit in the Blogger School Yard!?

Image from here

I want you to make welcome Melissa who has graciously agreed to guest post here today. I am really excited to have Melissa in my space - hers is always such a fun place to be!

In her post she is making an interesting parallel between the blogosphere and the school yard and I think you will all enjoy it. Take it away Melissa...
You went to school, right? Do you remember {if your school was big enough, some of mine weren’t} the cliques or groups that students would get filed into? Maybe someone put you there or you might have selected a nice safe spot for yourself. You were either happy with your place or you weren’t.

Or maybe you didn’t have that experience at all? So just for a moment, picture every American teen movie, novel or television show. Got what I’m talking about? Good! Let’s go.

What I’m saying is that the blogging community works a bit the same. Sure. It’s not as specific. We cross over and back into some or all of the categories. But they exist. Well, I say they do, and here’s some I wrote down:

The Rockstar {Cool Kids} – They are popular, sponsored and at the top of their category. Everyone wants to be their friend. And usually because they are friendly, smiley and fun. They can be dismissive. They have millions of comments, page views and get offered all the cool stuff. They don’t go to people anymore; people come to them. Their motto is Life is Good.

The Average Joe – The Average Joe blogger could be a jock, if they worked at it. And probably don’t have the star power to be a cool kid. But they are good, loyal, decent and quietly achieving in their own way. It’s safer here too. They are the people you trust to be there. But don’t expect them to change much. Their motto is Good Things Come to Those Who Wait.

The Drama Crowd – Most commonly falling in the fashion blogger crowd, the drama crowd are flamboyant, talented and a teeny tiny bit over the top. They collect the beautiful. Celebrate the joys of life. They can be critical. But they are almost always fun. Unless you broke their heart or they are in a blue phase. Their motto is Life is a Stage!

The Jocks – A jock is focused and driven. They post often. And hone their skills. Writing, photographing, in their specific genre. They ask questions, join forums and seek out mentors. They are popular. But they work for it. And they will always work to stay at the top of their game. Things don’t necessarily come easily to them. They are annoyingly single focused sometimes. They could talk blogging in their sleep. Their motto is Practice Makes Perfect.

The Arty Farties – Crafty and savvy the Arty Farties can knit you a sweater, paint you a picture and redesign your blog in one afternoon. From craft to cooking projects these guys are the ones giving it a go. With varying results. Sometimes it backfires big time. Sometimes they pull it off with elegant finesse. They are adventurous. A little scatty {all those freakin’ projects people!} and regarded with amusement and awe. Their motto is Genius Sometimes Makes a Mess.

The Bullies – A nasty bunch of so and so’s. Avoid at all costs. There is one in every class. A person who gets a kick out of humiliating or undermining others. The saddest part about this is that it isn’t always the faceless villain that hurts us the most. It could be a former BFF. The bully’s motto is This World Ain’t Big Enough for the Two of Us!

What do you think? Do bloggers fit into general school yard type categories or is it more complex than that? And before we get too serious, what character are you? Go on. Pick one! Or if you don’t see yourself here anywhere, tell us, what high school cliché are you?

Because clearly, I am a Rock Star. Haha. Nahh. A Drama Crowd’er/Arty Fartie... Hmmm.

I can't say I have ever really thought about it before Melissa, but I reckon I am an Average Joe. Rockstar Melissa blogs at Suger Coat it where she writes about fashion, life and love through the eyes of an artistic, nerdy tech savvy property manager who is battling the bulge and trying to conceive. Pop over and say "hi".

31 comments:

Lucy said...

Oh Melissa. Oh MM. How cool to have you both in the same spot.

I have no idea which clique I fall upon on, fall into, or fall out of. The whole bizzo baffles me a bit.

And when it baffles me, I step back, get out of the Twitter Gym for a while, and just post.

(At school, I had a small group of close friends (male and female) that I am still very close to. But I also had close friends in allof the rockstar/jock/drama/arty farty crowds.)

Averge Joe, I suspect.

xx

A Christy Production said...

I'm an Average Joe too, who takes things too personally.

Cate said...

Hi Melissa! hmmm interesting post!! I think I fall somewhere between average joe and jock I suspect...
xxxCate

Salamander said...

Oh my gosh. I was reading this thinking - my group isn't here!!! Because I am without a doubt, not cool enough for any of those groups. If you look waaaaay in the back of the high school year book, you'll see a tiny black and white pic of the nerds - those who need to stick together to laugh at each other's jokes because no one else will; whose fashion sense is dubious, to put it politely; and who watch the cool kids with mouths slightly agape, wondering how on earth they, too, could be popular. But never actually thinking it would happen!!

Madmother said...

Average Joe here.

It's also weird to see someone else referred to as MM, specially as I have been used to it being my tag for over a decade, lol.

Off to dob to the teacher, ner.

Ooh, that's another group - the teacher's pets!

Photographer Mum said...

Average Joe. Always have been, in most aspects of my life, and I am totally cool with that.

Toni said...

I'm up the back with Salamander. We're pulling faces at the photographer.

Miss Pink said...

I do have to point out she forgot one of the biggest high school groups. Nerds. I'd love to hear how they fit into the blogosphere.

Donna said...

This is superb! I am thr first to admit I aman average Joe but hapily so :)

Melissa *Suger Coat It* said...

Oh my!! I forgot the nerds. I LOVE the nerds. I am the nerd. Sigh. I feel a part two coming on. ;)

Glad you're having fun with it!!

Alice Becomes said...

very entertaining post! i have no idea where we fit, certainly not rock stars or arty farties, we might need someone to answer that for us!

that whole school yard thing just follows everyone about in life, doesn't it? i went between groups in school, never slotted in neatly anywhere, which had its positives and negatives, i guess. kind of still the same for me now, a bit of this, i bit of that...

Gill xo

Maxabella said...

Just like in the school yard, I don't think I fit in anywhere!! x

Jodi Gibson said...

That's the thing I like about blogging. I don't think I have to fit anywhere. Unlike school where, although I loved school, I hated the cliques. It sucked really. Everyone trying to fit in a box. So I will leave it up to others to make judgment on what I am or where I fit. All I hope is that my writing resonates with someone out there!

Mañana Mama said...

Hah, what a great post! At first I thought, 'bah, I won't fit into any of the categories', but after reading to the end, I got to admit that I am a bog standard Average Jo to the letter - slow-moving and too lazy to be a jock, that's me! Hey, beats being a bully right?!
~M

River said...

I'm not sure I'm here. I'm kind of an average joe, but at school I was the one sitting alone with her nose in a book, when I really wanted to be a tech savvy nerd type.

♥Beryllium Lithium Class of 2011 said...

Great post :) yes, you kind of forgot the nerds... and the loners... and the band of misfits/outcasts :P
I'd probably fit into the misfits... and (I hope), the nerds. Otherwise, I'm probably your Average Joe.

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

All bloggers are nerds. That's what makes blogging so great. :-)

therhythmmethod said...

I think Allison may have a point ... What a fun post!
Very interesting seeing what people say about themselves.
I guess I am an average joe - in that I do my own thing and try not to get too involved in politics. At school I lived in the art room - even at lunchtime - but never saw myself as arty farty. I guess I am a nerd too, because I take no shame in throwing myself into something completely.

Kymmie said...

Oh, how I love this post. And how I love you Coo for bringing Melissa to your lovely blog (as I love her too)!

This is such a great post. Not sure where I fit as I think I do a bit of a few things. But Allison is right. I'm definitely a nerd. And love it!

xx

Shelley said...

When I started blogging I used to try to figure out where I would fit in. When I really couldn't figure it out, I deleted over 75 posts, and thought blogging wasn't my thing. Almost immediately I realised that was my mistake - I fit in exactly where I want to - writing my blog for me. And so now I do just that. xx

Danielle said...

I LOVE THIS POST Liss. What category do I fit into ??

Ames said...

Hahaha this is EPIC! I love it :)

Tat said...

I'm a wannabe Arty Farty. More mess than genius...

PartlySunny said...

I'm not sure where I fit in -- just like high school. Maybe someone else can look at me and see it, but I can't. Anyway, this was fun.

Wanderlust said...

I'm the foreign exchange student.

Kelly b said...

Adore everything about this post. I'm not sure where I fit but I got a little uncomfortable when I was reading the "Jock" LOL I know being a rock star is totally beyond me...and I kinda wish i was in the arty crowd...They are uber cool... I love nerds...I married one... If all else fails, an average Joe right? Bloggers rock (except bullies). And you, Melissa, definitely rock my socks!!!

Emily said...

I'm with everyone who said there should be a nerd category. I quote my dictionary in half my blog posts! Nerd with a capital L.

Kelly Exeter said...

Oh god I am a jock. Just like in high school!

But this year I am trying to be mire Average Joe :)

Visiting from the weekend rewind!

Kim H said...

I loved this post when I first read it and I love it just as much now. You two are definitely ROCKSTARS!! I think I'm an average Joe as far as blogging goes but in real life I'm probably a very annoying Jock.

Happy Rewinding! xx

Diminishing Lucy said...

Loved it thenm love it now. Still average. Me. Not you. xxx

Marcy said...

I think I'm an Average Joe and would like to say that I am, but I might just be a nerd. (I was one in high school, at least.) :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...