Sunday, 15 May 2011

Help me to win a New Ford Territory for a Year and $5,000.


And yes, they always wear Superhero outfits when driving. Just in case you were wondering.

When I was a little girl, my parents would take the whole family out for a ‘drive’. We would all pile into the van, click on our seat belts and take off on a given Sunday afternoon.

Those were the days when the logistics of stacking four children into a car seat were still ahead of us.

Those were the days when paying $1.57 at the petrol pump was just a futuristic nightmare that no-one really believed would happen.

Those were the days when technology was only as advanced as a cassette deck and Donkey Kong.

Before too long the inevitable pestering would begin from the four of us in the back:

“Where are we going?”
“Are we there yet?”
“I’m bored”.
“Mum, she hit me!”
“I’m hungry”.
“I want Jimmy Barnes*”.

Mum and Dad would exchange the ‘parent glance’, try to ignore the chaos that was gathering intensity and volume in the back of the van and produce the standard answer:  “We’re going for a drive. Nowhere in particular. Just for a drive. Try and enjoy the scenery.”

We would drive and drive; meandering to destination unknown for what seemed like an eternity.

Eventually we would stop, visit a cultural or tourist attraction in our local area or grab a bite to eat somewhere or find ourselves at a beach. There was always somewhere different to explore. And we always got to experience it together, away from the pull of everyday life.

I have to say that I never really got it as a kid. Why would you just get in the car and drive aimlessly? I would think. We must be going somewhere? Why do we all have to come? Why can’t I listen to Barnesy? We better not be going to another graveyard for one of Dad’s genealogy projects!

As an adult, and now parent, I get the whole ‘just going for a drive’ thing. The freedom. The break in routine. The brush with nature. The sense of community and being part of the busy without actually being busy. The adventure of finding new places and doing new things. The simple pleasure of spending time together and creating memories. I get it.

Sometimes, when we are feeling brave enough (and rich enough!), my husband and I venture out for a drive with our four kids. Just because. We strap them all into their car seats and drive off. Into the world. Away from the mundane and ‘normal’.

We rarely have a plan. And we rarely get far before too many ‘parent glances’ have been exchanged and the kids’ banter and relentless requests for a DVD have sent us more than a little nutty. But we always have fun, wherever we land. Family time together, away from the rest of the world. Making memories. It is a beautiful thing. A cross-generational ritual even.

* True story! There’s no accounting for taste, but I was a big fan. Truth be told, we all were. JB’s indecipherable lyrics were the soundtrack to many family road trips over the years.


Do you have memories of driving trips with your family? Good? Bad? Ugly? And what about now? Are you taking the kids out for a drive regularly? Do tell!

This post is my entry for the Kidspot Top 50 Bloggers competition, sponsored by the new Ford Territory. A post with the prompt “Drive”. The prize is $5000 and the use of a new Ford Territory for a year. Now that could be handy after the death of poor Cyril. Thanks to Kidspot and Ford for giving me this wonderful opportunity and for supporting Australian blogging.

If you like this post, please take the time write a comment below and vote for me. Don’t forget to share the post with your friends. And thank you, as always, for reading my blog and supporting me.

22 comments:

therhythmmethod said...

Love this post. I was one of 4 kids too, and we often went for 'a run' in the car on Sunday. Sometimes the parentals would take us to display homes (dad was a builder) and sometimes we seemed to go nowhere. But I loved feeling enclosed in small space with my people.
My fondest memory of driving with my fam was when my big bro would let me use his walkman. And then let me lean on him. Aww ...

MultipleMum said...

No display homes that I can recall, Rhythm Method. A shame really as I love a sticky beak in other people's homes! LIAPF or Maxabella may remember? Such a cute interaction between you and your big brother. Your Mum would have been proud x

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

What can I say but 'are we there yet??'. Love it. x

Dovic said...

Oh I love this post! We'll sometimes be on our way home and rather than drive into our street I'll detour and start driving around neighbouring suburbs.

It's just peaceful y'know.

And they can't make a mess strapped in!

Great post, great memories. Thank you.

MultipleMum said...

You obviously haven't seen the floor of our car @Dovic? They can ALWAYS make a mess! I do love your detour though - helps breaks the routine. Anything that does that is good in my books :-)

Marcia (123 blog) said...

I love the pegs in your header :)

came over from Mandy's blog and always very happy to meet a fellow southern hemisphere blogger - I'm from South Africa.

I'm going to poke around your blog a bit and get to know you.

Kristy said...

Sometimes you just gotta get out. Your parents sound like they were marvelous! What great memories for you. I have not really done much of this, but I'll have to remember it the next time we're all getting stir crazy.

Ooh Baby - All things Cuteable said...

Oh my goodness - you definately need a bigger car! Good luck...I've just voted for you. ;o)

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

I have fond memories of long drives with my family. The bickering, 'are we there yet' and excitment. Lovely post and yay for Kidspot!

Suzi said...

Great post! I love heading out for a drive to nowhere in particular too. Oh and the Jimmy Barnes thing reminds me of a funniest home videos episode from about 10yrs ago with a toddler tantruming "I want Jimmy Barnes" then they turn it off and on repeatedly and the kid goes nuts. It was funny, anyways Good Luck!!

Photographer Mum said...

My parents always used to take us on random drives to random places, but it was always fun to explore the placed we ended up at. I can so relate to "Are we there yet?" It was the first thing we'd ask after getting in the car...

MultipleMum said...

Thanks for letting me know you have been here and welcome @Marcia (1,2,3)! Poke away!!

Glad you love the simple 'drive' too @1000 Homes. And @Kristy, you absolutely do have to get out some days. It is a sanity saver! My parents were pretty cool! Hi Mum! Hi Dad!

@Susi - I didn't catch that episode of Funniest Home videos (or any other for that matter. lol) but I am glad someone else in the world liked JB!

@Photographer Mum and LIAPF- Are we there yet? The bane of my life. Definitely karma!

Thanks for the vote @OOh Baby! A bigger car... now that would make my day :-)

Megan Blandford said...

Great post. Yes, the old 'going for a drive' is an expensive hobby these days!

Our arguments in the car were about my brother wanting to listen to Midnight Oil, me wanting Kylie Minogue and my sister wanting U2. Those days are still ahead of me... we'll see how long I maintain my disdain for car DVD players!!

Georgie said...

Yep, we were Sunday drivers, being overtaken in a 60 zone. I always wanted to sticky beak at the 'mansions' in our town as a kid. Nothing's changed. (And congrats on your nomination.) gxo

MultipleMum said...

@Georgie - thanks! Gotta love a peak at the mansions! We have lots in our local area - might keep the crew amused one weekend. And @Megan, the Midnight Oil, Kylie and U2 debate sounds familiar. We must be from a similar era :-)

Maxabella said...

Aaaah, the memories. x

Tat said...

I still don't get the going for a drive thing... I find driving very tiring and just a necessity to get you from A to B. When my husband suggests to go for a drive, I usually invent 1000 things to do and let him just take the kids.

PartlySunny said...

Well you know us -- we're driving fools. We drag the kids across Nevada, through the desert without a DVD player (gasp!). So, yes, we like to do the old fashion, family time in the car.

Good luck on the competition. I'll run over and vote.

postcard pam said...

Reminds me of 'fun' days out with my ex. Have never been able to face driving aimlessly since.I'd watch our precious fleeting moments of British sunshine, out of the car window. Never did understand why he couldn't get out and be in it.
I may try again now though :) Good Luck x

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post - so you, said in true MulipleMum style! I am an only child but remember Sunday drives - back in the day when shops were closed on Sundays and the road was all yours....Sitting in the back of the station wagon, no seat belt, just for the fun of sitting in the boot, waving at the cars travelling behind. Picnics at reserves by the water, no one else seeming to be around....those were the days!! Good luck with Kidspot - with all the car issues you've had/football team of offspring you have/working 3 days a week - you deserve to win!!!! Kath xx

DancingInTheRain said...

My memories of the 'just going for a drive' were me asking 'but why?' and then we would end up at a place that sold stone fruit by the box. Still love a good yellow cling peach!

Jodie Ansted said...

I love just going for a drive. In fact, I loved it as a kid too.

I remember when Dad bought an old 1939 Chevrolet. It totally needed work, but it was so BIG and SPACIOUS. We drove it around to our relative's homes. I found confetti in the back seat. It was previously used as a wedding car. I imagined someday sitting in the back of it as a bride myself.

I never did though. The car still exists - it belongs to my nephew now - but I married in Sydney, not in Perth. I would have loved that as my wedding car!

The only time I didn't like car trips was our annual trip to Shark Bay & Monkey Mia which would take about 10 hours by car! It was like torture. But worth it when we got there. :)

PS - And yes. I really did listen to that music from my vlog. Sad, but true. ;) xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...