Tuesday, 17 May 2011

I am officially a Superwoman!

Image from here
I have joked a lot about the joys of parenting twins. Double the trouble has been my personal experience. Those little blighters get up to more mischief than either of my older boys ever did. Be it writing on walls, ripping up books, defiant behaviour or whinging their parents ears off, Dew Drop and the Minx are a force to be reckoned with.

I have often been told you only get given in life what you are capable of dealing with. When it came to the early days with the twins, this theory came very close to being very bloody wrong. I was a basket case. I felt like I needed super powers just to get through another 3 hour cycle: feed, sleep, play… surely it can’t be three hours already?!?

Everyone kept telling me I was doing such a ‘great job’. I couldn’t see it. I was surviving at best. My mantras were “It is what it is”; “Whatever it takes”; “Just get through it”. Not exactly the attitude of an in control, thriving mother. Nothing terribly inspiring there!

I was delighted to read an article recently called Superwomen: Moms of Twins May Live Longer. I was intrigued. Superwoman? Who me?

The article talks about research on Multiple Mums from the 1800s in Utah (to capture only naturally occurring twins) and reports that we twin Mums live longer, not because changing twice the number of nappies a day makes us tough, but because we are in fact tougher to begin with.

It comes down to a natural selection of sorts, where healthy Mums take twice the chance to hand on their super genes. Ah yes. Super genes. That’s what I have!

Twin mums were also found to have more kids overall than those without twins (more than just one extra people, something statistically significant), recover more quickly between pregnancies and have longer reproductive spans. I am sincerely hoping that because I started later that my reproductive span remains at a tight 3 years and 8 months!

We twin Mums are exceptional people doing exceptional things for the good of Humankind (that was my thought, not one expressed by the researchers).

So here’s cheers to all the Mums of Multiples out there. You are officially superwomen! Wear your war wounds with pride. You earned them!

I think all Mums are pretty super. What do you think of this research?

12 comments:

Suzi said...

Yes you are superwoman! My hat goes off to mothers of multiples, you guys are amazing :)

postcard pam said...

I do not have twins, but did have 3 in 5 years and I leave you with this piece of advice- enjoy your arms now! All that picking up and carrying and buggy pushing gives you fabulous arms and you tend to take them for granted....big mistake! I hope you are wearing vest tops and halternecks day in and day out now xx

Mrs Woog said...

Twin mums ARE superwomen? No shit. Xx

Maxabella said...

I always thought you were Superwoman... even before the twins! x

Diminishing Lucy said...

I have twin siblings. Our generation got skipped. None of us have twins. I was never sure whether I was relived or disappointed...

Reading this makes me a little envious.

You are a superwoman.

xx

Alice Becomes said...

You ARE a superwoman

I like the sort of research that makes us feel good about ourselves - supergenes, that's worth feeling good about!

Gill xo

cityhippyfarmgirl said...

I think you are definitely superwoman!

Tat said...

You know what, I always thought you were Superwoman, too. You'll laugh now, but I read your blog for months before I finally found the courage to comment, I was so intimidated ;) By this post in particular, I still remember it: http://pilesofwashing.blogspot.com/2010/07/juggling-another-hat.html...

MultipleMum said...

Ahh Tat! That is so funny!!! I love your comments and find you a welcome addition to the blogosphere :)

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh my! Many times I have said that Mama's of twins are supermama's... MANY! In those first horrific months of my first child's life, I just kept thanking my lucky stars I was only dealing with one and not two... or more at once!
I think you're wonderful and I can believe that it is some type of natural selection for Mama's of twins. It has to be, they always seem so well balanced and in control... I'm sure you've always felt that way!? ;o)
Great post!

Timberandtin said...

Ahh my older child was 23 months when my twins came along, and it was just as you described, and actually in many ways some days still are :)
Congrats on surviving. My 3 are pretty good now, but we would love a 4th and another set of twins sets my head spinning...

therhythmmethod said...

I have that t-shirt! I also have a strange sense of humour, as superwoman I am not.
This research correlates with my own extensive research (think supermarket, park, kinder pick up). I agree, God never gives you more than you can handle. Twin mums are superwomen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...