Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Black and white twinstrels

Image from here
I love a good twin story. And this family's is probably one of the best.


In 2001, a mixed-race couple from England had a pair of twin baby girls. One twin was exactly like mum, who is a pale skinned red head. The other was more like dad with her dark skin and eyes. 


But the story gets more bizarre because they got pregnant with another set of twins (more fraternal girls), six or seven years later and surprise, surprise one is dark and the other fair! What are the chances of that???


Apparently one in a million (although having had a SECOND set would certainly have upped the odds).


There are other examples of 'black and white twinstrels' as one tabloid named them*. Check out the stories of Terri and Malcolm Rayhaman of London,  Stephan Gerth and Florence Addo-Gerth from Germany with their fraternal boy twins born in 2008, and of course our very own Australian version, produced by Natasha Knight and Michael Singerl in 2006.


There is no doubt that this is not a usual occurrence, but isn't it so much fun? I wonder when and where the next set of mixed-race twins will be born? Have you met anyone with this amazing situation?




* An aside, and definitely one for another multiple post, but are you a fan of, or completely against the 'twin' puns? You know, Twinspiring? Twinteresting? Twintastic? Twindividual? I will stop now... 

11 comments:

A Farmer's Wife said...

Those twins all look so cute. And such complete copies of Mum and Dad.

Take care and thanks for the smile.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Trish.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

It is so amazing and special . I remember the first set being born.
Nature is so surprising and awesome.

Mum on the Run said...

The stories this family could tell!
I'm sure there's a book deal in there!
It's quite amazing - and beautiful.
:-)

Maxabella said...

Personally I can't get enough of the twin puns. Keep it up!! x

Photographer Mum said...

How cool!
I don't mind the twin puns, it adds to the vocabulary

Mama of 2 boys said...

What a lovely gift of nature. I think these stories are incredible and beautiful all in one. Yeah, keep the twins posts up and the puns, I can hack it :o) xo

Kelly said...

Wow that’s fascinating, what a gorgeous family xo

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

ahhh, I love a twinnie story. Personally I think any twin story is a fantastic one!

I remember one of these in the press a while back.

p.s - I love a good twin pun. They make me smile!

Andrea said...

This really is amazing...I think I heard it before, but forgot about it. It is really fascinating that one looks just like the mom while the other just like the dad. Not just color, but features too! Really cool! :)

Cathy said...

What a beautiful looking family! Biology is truly amazing!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

This is so cool to me. I always joke that our girls are "very" fraternal...but these folks have us beat!

I saw a report a year or so ago, where fraternal twin boys were discovered to have separate fathers! (I couldn't help but think, "Like a cat!" HA!) Sperm can survive for a period of time, and the mother had relations with two men within 24 hours of each other...and presto-whamo! That is pretty amazing in my book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...