Thursday, 9 June 2011

Five things to make you think

Image from here
1. Ellyse Perry is an inspiration! Representing Australia in cricket's Twenty20 World Cup last year, she has now been picked for the Australian women's soccer team to go to the World Cup. Apparently she is also a university student (in her spare time!). All of this at the tender age of 20.

2. Many mass-market shampoos and conditioners are full of chemicals. In addition to the Bicarb and vinegar recipe I shared earlier this week, there are a whole lot of other ways to wash your hair au natural.

You can try soapwort root (infuse the root in boiling water like a tea then freeze in usable portions). If you have dandruff, apple cider vinegar (1/4 cup to a glass of water, rinse through the hair and massage into the scalp) or coconut oil (massage into scalp).

If you must buy commercial shampoos and conditioners, look for products that contain SLS (sodium lauryl sulphate), parabens, DEA (diethanolamine), petrochemicals and any artificial colours and fragrances.

3. If, like me, you can't afford to buy all organic veggies (or grow your own), the ones with the highest levels of pesticides among conventional fruit and veg (according to the US Environmental Working Group) are: celery, peaches, strawberries, apples, blueberries, nectarines, capsicum, spinach, cherries and kale. I am going to try and buy these organic when I can. You can get a full list at http://www.foodnews.org/

4. I got inspired by Aspiring Millionaire's Sell 1000 things challenge. There is no way I have 1000 things to sell, but I have a few. I think I am going to try using fiverr. (Have you seen it? Any experience? What would you do for 5 USD?), fishpond, and the baby and kid's market. I am a disaster with eBay because I can't take photos to save myself.

5. I read about this fantastic reward system idea for kids in a Disney FamilyFun magazine (the one they handed out at the ABC). It is based on a system of marbles in a jar.

  • You will need a clear glass container for each child and a large supply of interesting marbles/gems.
  • Personalise the jars (a craft activity!)
  • Write a list of household chores as well as some personal tasks. I am going to incorporate our family charter.
  • Assign each job a value (how many marbles is the job worth?). From making your bed (1 marble) to tidying up all the toys before bed (3 marbles).
  • Your children get to drop a marble into their jar when they get their jobs done (via you, the keeper of the marbles). Likewise, if the kids squabble or are badly behaved, marbles can be removed from the jar.
  • Nugget's 'pocket money' will be linked to the number of marbles in the jar on a weekly basis. For the younger kids, a full jar gets a monetary value ($10) to spend on a toy or some quality one on one time with Mum/Dad.
Simple to be sure, but I am going to give it a go at Casa Four. We have plans to decorate our jars this weekend. Will keep you posted.

Did you have anything you want to share this week?

5 comments:

Petra said...

Choice tested pesticides on Australian fruit and veg a year or two ago (did a quick search but can't find the article) and they found that strawberries and lettuce had the highest amount of pesticides (often over the recommended limit). But not easy finding organic strawberries that are reasonable priced!

cityhippyfarmgirl said...

I still haven't tried the bicarb thing, have thought about it 5067 times but not actually walked the talk. Shampoo drives me crazy. I'm 100% sure a whole lot of people wouldn't have dandruff if they didn't use conventional shampoos. "You create the problem, and then you solve the problem".
I only ever buy organic celery but often go without it as I don't always see it. A crispy stem drowned in peanut butter- yum.
I like the marble idea. I might give that a crack...

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

I love the marble jar idea!

postcard pam said...

My kids' primary school used the 'penny in the jar' technique and all the pennies went to charity. We had to have a word tho' cos all the classmates 'with anger issues' got to put pennies in the pot for not knifing anyone day after day and although there is merit in that, my quiet and hard working nippers continued to be quiet and hard working without reward. They were beginning to wonder what the point was.
x

Jodie Ansted said...

All great ideas!

I used a new shampoo recently that has made my scalp so itchy (I was convinced all the time I had nits!), that I'm going to give the dandruff treatments you mentioned a go.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...