Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Life calendar

Image from here
When I went to the talk by Andrew Fuller on Building Resilient children (be warned: the post was one of the duddest in recent times for me so click over at your own risk) he talked of this fantastic idea called a 'Life Calendar'.

The idea is that you create a family calendar that covers many years of their childhood so that each day ends up being special for something. Maybe you planted your veggie patch together? Maybe you went camping? Maybe someone started school? Maybe someone wore his last nappy?

Maybe it is something 'bigger' in the grand scheme of things like buying a house?

How to do this (I am sure you crafty types could have a field day with this!):
1. You use a calendar from any year.
2. Each month gets labelled - Jumping January, Fantastic February, Marvellous March and so on.
3. You write down special events (good and bad) that happened (do as many as you can remember to start with). E.g. May 1-5, 2005 Holiday to Canberra; March 26, 2007 Royal Easter show.
4. With the passing years, you add to the same calendar. Another 'year end task' to go with creating your photo year book.

It is a way to keep all of your memories in one place. A way to document your journey as a family.

Suggested uses:
* Help your children remember things that happened to them on this day in an earlier year
* Help your children remember family holidays, outings and events
* Help your children see the ebb and flow of life (some months will be busier than others)
* Help your children see how they fit into your family story

Do you use something like this at your place?

20 comments:

lesley(pam) said...

My profession is building resilience in children and those who work with them, but I have never seen this idea before. I love it! Will be putting it into practise.

Julia said...

I love the idea of helping your children tell their story--I think that's so important! This is so perfect. Two years ago tomorrow we found out we were pregnant. I can start my calendar today :)

Cate said...

I think this is a lovely idea. And building resiliance in our children is such an important skill and one that shouldn't be underestimated. I know my own resiliance skills are woeful at times - which was only highlighted recently by my 'complicated' reaction to an altercation with another teacher recently. I would never want my own children to react in this way to a simple exchange of words and am always on the look out for new ways to encourage and model how to look at problems objectively and with a positive attitude - and I also don't think it's ever too late to work on these skills in ourselves. Perhaps I'll start one for myself too :-)
xxxCate

Caz (The Truth About Mummy) said...

Fabulous idea. I'm very interested in building kids self esteem and resilience. Might have to pop on over and see that other post :)

Kelly said...

I really like the Life calendar idea xo

DancingInTheRain said...

I do like this idea. I did something like this for the first year of MiniMe's life. It is nice looking back to see what we were doing. I hadne thought to keep it going but I like the sentiment!

bigwords is... said...

What a cool idea. I just wish I was crafty or had the dedication to remember to fill it in. Love the idea of it though!! x

Mama of 2 boys said...

This is a beautiful idea and a great way of keeping the memories in order. We don't have anything like this, but in a way, it is why I started my blog. It's primarily about the boys and all of us as a family. I do like the idea of having something down on paper though, more traditional and nostalgic in the years to come.

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

A wonderful idea. I have heard Andrew Fuller speak a few times now and always come away feeling inspired and in awe. I work with Koorie Kiddies from very complex backgrounds and these are some of the most resilient kids I have ever come across. All have faced such huge, at times overwhelming hardships in their life but their ability to pick themsleves up and move forward is amazing. So many lessons to be learnt from the resilience in these kiddies.

Love this idea and can see how this can be used in my little family but also those families of kiddies I work with.

Thankyou for the great suggestion!

xoxox

Kellie

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

Lovely idea. Think we might give this a try!

Alice Becomes said...

Oh I loved your resilience post - I didn't think it was a dud at all.

I don't do anything like this, but it is a lovely idea. Thanks for sharing! Gill xo

Jen said...

Life goes so quickly so I think it is a great idea to record more of what we do everyday, I wish I could remember more of what I did when I was younger. I might just start something like this.

Felicity said...

I must have missed your AF post and will be seeking it out after this as he's one of my favourite presents - gotta love an Everyready bunny in grey curls no?

We have a large art folio where we have a double page spread for each month to write notes of gratitude and special events but I like the notion of the calendar and seeing how great things occur on specific days over the years.

Thanks for the share,

xx Felicity

Marcy said...

I love this idea. It would be so much fun to look back and remember each day years later.

tinsenpup said...

It is a nice idea. We have recently discussed our desire to find more special occasions to celebrate - mainly so we have more excuses to eat cake, of course.

Melissa Jane said...

This is a great idea. I have heard of it and wanted to do it. I really should ....

A Farmer's Wife said...

It's a lovely idea - I am always a bit hopeless about getting those things going though!

Thanks for hosting The Rewind.

Tat @ Mum in search said...

it's a great idea but... can I see myself sticking with it long term? I'd have to get my children all involved and enthusiastic about it, otherwise i don't stand a chance.

Diminishing Lucy said...

I so love this idea. But I cannot do it. I have missed too many years to start now....

Gar out, I am such an anal perfectionist.

xx

Janelle said...

Haha, I feel the same about having missed too much already. And my daughter is only 18 months old! I think that makes me an even bigger anal perfectionist.
OR....I could just get over myself and start it now, because it sounds like fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...