Wednesday, 15 June 2011

What a difference a day makes

Image from here*
The family were all still sick yesterday, and the rain still poured down, but I got a spring back in my step.

The Geege did the honours and stayed home with the kids and recuperated, while I skipped out to work.

I hated the thought of leaving them all with their snotty noses, separation anxiety and barking coughs, but I was more than a little delighted to have a bit of space. Some fresh air. Some happy company.

I walked to the train station at the crack of dawn with my winter coat and boots on, hovering under an umbrella. Usually I would feel despondent about the weather. But I didn't yesterday.

I checked in regularly with Team Four, while I worked my way through my to-do list. I was productive and efficient. They were in capable hands and I had a different role to play that day.

I splurged on a store-bought lunch instead of the usual home-packed one. Just 'cause. And in the afternoon, when the Geege called to inquire about our plans for dinner, I talked him through a recipe from the available food in the house (and arrived home to a cooked meal, a nice bonus).

I took my time walking back to the train station at the end of the day (instead of the crazy rush that I usually have at that time of day). Savouring the last moments of my 'me time'.

I got excited as I rounded the corner into our street.

They were all there to greet me and I relished their cuddles and kisses and stories of the day. They had been warm and dry and loved all day long. I had the space that I so desperately craved yesterday and returned to the family with a breath of fresh air and a dash of patience.

Just what the doctor ordered.

Do you find that going out to work is sometimes just the medicine you need to get yourself back on track as a parent?

* This image is so far removed from the dreary weather that we are experiencing that I couldn't go past it! A breath of fresh air indeed. How wonderful would it be to be sitting on that bike looking out at the ocean? Bliss!

10 comments:

Cate said...

nothing makes me appreciate my kiddos more, or want to sqeezey-hug them more, than a day away at work. So great for getting some space and remembering just why I love their squishy little faces so much!
Glad to you had such a good day :-)
xxxCate

1000 Homes of Happiness said...

A lovely spring in your step.

I love going to work two days a week. It is my 'me' time, where I refresh and have the ability to eat a sit down lunch...with adults. hehe. Gorgeous image above. You have me craving a summer dress and some sand between my toes.

xx Glad to hear little ones may be on the mend.

A Farmer's Wife said...

I work two days a week and love it.

Coming home to a cooked dinner must have been so lovely!

Suzi said...

Oh absolutely! I only work one day at the moment but I really do enjoy it, it breaks up the mundane and helps me appreciate the kids more.

Jodie Ansted said...

Tuesday is my day. All 3 boys are at school/daycare, and I find by the end of the day, I feel better and able to cope with it all better. Having a break is awesome!

You sound happy. Glad you enjoyed your day. ;)

DancingInTheRain said...

For sure! Glad things are looking a bit brighter in your neck of the woods.

Mama of 2 boys said...

Wow, this is an inspiring post and yet again, has made me feel a little better about my situation. I'm back at work part time in a month. 95% of me is dreading leaving my babies, but there is 5% that tells me it won't be all bad... and it's probably for the reasons you mention here. Just a teeny bit of space, to reinvigorate my passion as a Mama and wife. Some time to be a little bit independent. And of course to fall in love with them over again when I pick them up in the arvo. So glad you're week is picking up :o) xo

Mum on the Run said...

Absolutely!!
When we're ready to leave the nest for a little spell and fly solo it is so invigorating.
Since returning to work part time I no longer feel that the weekdays are on slow mo (fast forward, sometimes!) and groundhog day is no more.
I love my time with my little man and make the most of it.
The initial adjustment is a challenge for most families - but the payoff (financial & emotional) are worth presevering.
So glad you feel refreshed.
:-)

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Hooray! So glad things are on the up and up.

Megan Blandford said...

You make work sound very, very appealing! Glad it was a good day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...