Sunday, 12 June 2011

The worst weekend ever?

Image from here
All the kids are sick. Some with high temperatures and all with flu-like symptoms.

Dew Drop kindly picked up a virus at daycare last Tuesday and promptly brought it home with him. Like a stray cat, only more annoying. There is no containing these things in a household of six people squeezed into a three-bedder. It is only a matter of time.

It is cold and wet, as grey outside as the mood in the house. The drip of snotty noses echoing the raindrops on the window panes.

The husband worked all day on Saturday so I handled the 4:1 ratio on my own. It was a real struggle and I admit that the television was on most of the day. Even the electronic babysitter failed to raise the kids' spirits. Several doses of paracetamol, 300 nose wipes and a choir of whingey children later and the Geege arrived home from work. Reinforcements! At last!

Only he wasn't the reinforcement I was hoping for. He too was sick. Really sick. Signature headache, runny nose, sore throat and temperature. He slunk into bed while I wrangled the kids in too and contemplated another day nursing four five patients.

Today arrived and with it a new main player. Doo Dah was centre stage wearing the brunt of the high temperature virus today and was lethargic. Everyone wanted cuddles. No-one felt well enough to do any of the things we had planned. So we snuggled into another quiet day in front of the TV, with the rain coming down. A doona day.

I cooked and baked, and no-one wanted to help (a blessing and a curse).

I shopped for supplies with a set of twins clad in their pajamas, slippers and dressing gowns (a blessing and a curse).

I muddled through the day, keeping everyone hydrated. Watching them all embrace their illnesses. Hoping that my immune system will hold out for a few more days. Mums aren't allowed to get sick.

With the last two in bed, I sigh with relief. Weekend over.

Except it isn't because we have a long weekend. The Geege goes back to work tomorrow and I get the pleasure of doing it all again.

What was your worst ever weekend?

17 comments:

Cate said...

Oh yuk! you poor thing - yes, I know the ol' mum's aren't allowed to get sick thing, so I hope for your sake the immune system holds out - otherwise can I recommmend the codral cold and flu tablets (they work a treat...make you feel really spacey!!)
I'd love to top this with a terrible weekend story of mine, but I'm worried about jinxing you, so I won't :-)
xxxCate

Shelley @ My Shoebox Life said...

Oh no, I feel bad because I've been lucky enough to have one of my best weekends. Hope tomorrow is a better day and next weekend bounces back to be a fabulous one for you. xx

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh no, that is no good at all & yes, you cop all the hard work & those late night washing sessions, argh!! Have to say my guys have one virus since we moved to Canberra & that is it in almost 4 years, thank goodness as yes, a family of 6 sick, no fun at all. I was cursing ever leaving Darwin as they never got sick there, always barefoot & outside, but we've had a very good run, they just get headaches & tired, that i can handle with icepacks. Good luck, love Posie

DancingInTheRain said...

Lemonade ice blocks all round - that always seems lift the spirits of my girls when ill!

Must be something about long weekends and illness - we are indoors too!

Diminishing Lucy said...

Oh god, thats rough. We're all healthy but infiltrated by the in-laws. I wish I could come and help you.

xx

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

So sorry, Mama. I know how exhausting it is to have TWO noses to wipe...I can't begin to imagine FOUR or FIVE. Do what you can to get through it -- a little TV never hurt anyone -- and I'm sending you healthy vibes way across the oceans. :) :)

Miss Mandy said...

Not sure what my worst weekend ever was, but I too have sick kids so I feel your pain.

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

Not fun at all!!! I hope you are over the worst and on the mends. I too hope the sickness bypasses you! That would be cruel after all you have been through!! Take Care mommy!

InkPaperPen said...

oh no, poor you, poor kids, poor husband. Wishing you all lots of healthy bloggy vibes - it is hard work looking after sick kids. Gill xo

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

A mother work never ends does it. Sending get well vibes your way!

Tenille @ Help!Mum said...

That doesn't sound like much fun at all. I hope you've continued to avoid picking it up yourself. I seem to cop it everytime Lil bring something home from daycare, and this last round just didn't want to go away.

Donna said...

Ugh, horrid! My deepest sympathies to you, hope the five patients bounce back soon! Makes me and my hub and son's sickness pale in comparison...

Kelly said...

I feel your pain, i've had weekends like that before. Hope everything is on the mend soon xo

therhythmmethod said...

This sounds truly horrible. Hope everyone's on the up soon. You know things are bad when not even TV will lift their little spirits. Good luck with not catching it. x

Julia said...

Oh my! This sounds overwhelming! I get freaked when my two get sick--I can't imagine two times that (+ 1 if we're counting the hubs).

I hope you stay healthy, and get a well-deserved break once everyone is on the mend :)

Mrs Catch said...

all the kids at once. Sounds rough! Hoping things improve soon. Good luck with staying well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...