|Image from here|
On July 1, Kylie released her latest book (she self-published a frugal cookbook too) called 365 Ways to Make Money - Ideas for quick $ every day of the year. She was asked to write the book by her, now, publisher who found a popular post on her blog and saw its potential as a book. (Surprisingly, I didn't hear her knocking on my door when I wrote this post back in 2008!)
I have always enjoyed Kylie's ideas on saving money and frugality on her blog. I hadn't really even noticed her tips on 'making money' (I think I am too much of a traditional PAYG kind of girl to get all creative about ways to make money) so this book was new and exciting for me.
The book is brimming with ideas and enthusiasm, just like Kylie's blog. It is like she has never encountered a situation that she couldn't turn into an idea to make a quick dollar! There are already a few posts about Kylie's book in the blogosphere that you should check out (e.g. here and here) so rather than rehash the same things in my review, I think the best thing I can do is pick out Kylie's top tips for the SAHM so that you can have a taste of what is in stall for you:
1. Get advertising - Kylie has ideas for how to advertise with your house, your car or your blog. You can make a pretty penny by letting others use your space to market/advertise their business or product.
2. Work online - From pay-per-click sites to completing online surveys to writing Squidoo lenses, Kylie has ideas for how you can make money from sitting at home on your computer.
3. Use your word processing skills - If you can type, you can make money from typing medical transcripts, university assignments or resumes (amongst other things). You just need to put yourself out there and Kylie shows you how.
4. Help the time-poor - While the work of a SAHM is never done, maybe you could make money helping someone else out? You could try advertising your services for ironing, washing clothes, accepting deliveries or mending/alterations in your local area. You never know who might need a hand.
5. Sell stuff - If you have a glut of books, DVDs, CDs, firewood or even gold, try selling it to make money and declutter your house. Kylie has been doing a challenge to Sell 1000 things on her website (she makes it look easy) but maybe setting a target like that might be just the inspiration you need?
If you would like a copy of this book to call your own, I have one to giveaway to one lucky reader. To be in for a chance, all you need to do is a) be a follower of this blog and b) tell me the craziest thing you have done for an extra dollar. The most creative will win (as determined by me!). Prize drawn 9pm EST Wednesday July 13th. Be in it to win it!